I had a Tuesday morning haulout scheduled for so I took the boat to Gig Harbor early Monday morning. The weather was breezy on the transit south with strong winds and rough seas. I arrived at Gig Harbor at about 1200 and moored to the Jerisch Public Dock. And since I am such an independent sort, I found my own way home instead of asking someone for a ride. I took a bicycle on the boat and then rode from Gig Harbor through Olalla, Port Orchard, Gorst and Bremerton to Brownsville to get my car. The distance was 37 miles. Fortunately the day was dry and sunny other than some strong headwinds around Sinclair Inlet.
Tuesday morning I brought the boat to the Gig Harbor Marina at 0900. The staff lifted the boat out of the water, pressure washed the hull and set it in the dry storage area securely supported by the boat stands. I was able to get to it by 1130 for inspection. The bottom was in great shape. The paint had done a fantastic job of keeping marine growth from adhering even though I kept the boat in the water much longer than I ussually do. A few areas of paint had eroded away. The rudder, leading edge of the keel and the centerline from the bow to the keel had bare areas. This was expected. I rented the marinas dustless sanding system and by 1230, I was sanding. This went quick and I was finished by 1530. It was good that I finished by then, just as I completed, the rain started.
Wednesday was paint day. Between rain showers, I was able to get a good coat of paint on the bottom. It went on smooth. This was one of the best finishes that I have ever applied to a boat bottom. Thursday I was planning on more paint, but it rained very hard all day. I installed new zinc anodes on the propeller shaft and strut and called it a day.
Friday was splash day. The boat was scheduled to go in the water at 1200. I went down early to try to clean the hull around the waterline and paint the bare spots from the boat stand pads when the boat was lifted by the Travel Lift. The boat was splashed in the water at 1315 and I started home. The trip home was very windy and rainy, but I was back at Brownsville by 1630.
I have been hauling out my boats and painting the bottoms for over 40 years. Some boats have been easy and one was extremely fouled when I bought it. If I had lots of extra cash, I would hire it done. A lot of people are in the position to do this as well as there are fewer facilities that allow owners to perform their own work. Because of the weather, I did not get all the work done that I wanted to do. But, I accomplished what could only be done with the boat out of the water. And with my many years of experiance, I have learned one thing, it always gets done!
The boat hauled out in the Travel Lift. The operator controls the Travel Lift with a remote control unit. Very cool!
Mark is pressure washing the bottom. It really did not need much cleaning.
Positioned in the dry storage area ready for the stands to be positioned.
Sanding the bottom. Suited up in a tyvek suit, dust mask and safety glasses. Ear protection by Sony.
By Thursday, I had a coat of paint on, but it was rainy very hard, so little work was done. The duct tape "gutters" help deflect some of the water.
Friday morning, the Travel Lift getting in position to lift the boat.
The boat hanging in the slings. With the boat lifted, I was able to paint the bottom of the keel and the bare areas where the pads bore on the hull.
Splashing the boat.
Splashing the boat.
The trip home was kind off windy and rainy!