Warning: This is another installment in the ongoing saga of "The Great Bronco Engine Transplant". Many posts have been published over the last two years chronicling this engineering/installation project. Those people looking for sailing info will probably be disappointed, move along.
In November, I reported on the change in priorities of Phases II and III of The Great Bronco Engine Transplant and how I acquired a Edelbrock Performer Manifold and Holley four barrel carburetor.. So this month I completed Phase III by installing the manifold and carburetor. A lot of planning went into this installation to make sure I had all the parts before I started. An early December order to Summit Racing ensured that I had most everything I needed, but plans changed and two more smaller orders finished this project as well as some purchases from the local autoparts store.
I started this on the afternoon of Wednesday Dec. 19. The disassembly went fast and in a couple of hours I had everything cleaned up and ready to install the new manifold. I prefabbed the throttle and cruise control cable mounts and painted them. I did not start installing anything until Thursday and finished Friday afternoon. I was still waiting on a Summit order, but it was mainly cosmetic stuff and I could live with out it.
There was actually quite a few small things to do to get the new intake system installed. One item that always seems to be a problem is the throttle/cruise control cable mount. The mounting location is different between the stock manifold and the aftermarket one. This time I could not modify the existing bracket, so I fabricated a new one from steel plate. It turned out well and seems to function good. In addition, I had to make a new fuel line, PCV hose, modify vacuum hoses, modify the electric choke wiring and add a relay for the choke. While I was at it, I took the distributor apart and changed the mechanical advance weights.
I had the Bronco started Friday afternoon. It seems to have much improved high end power. I notice that it accelerates nicely while merging onto the freeway and accelerates all the way up the hill on Waaga Way. Low end power is a bit harder to evaluate. After putting about 170 miles on it, it does not appear that the mileage is much better than the stock two barrel carburetor.
Now back to Phase II:The Great Bronco Engine Transplant-Phase II- Changing The Rear Differential
I may start that in January or February.
The old carburetor and manifold removed.
Holley and Mr. Edelbrock joined up with Mr. Ford.
Everything installed and functioning well. The throttle cable and linkage always seems to be a headache. I built my own cable mount this time from scratch, unlike the last time when I pieced together parts from both the Granada and Bronco.
I thought that the new Holley carburetor would be taller and the air cleaner would hit the firewall. But it was no higher that the original carburetor and about a half inch farther forward. So the stock air cleaner still functions for now.