Friday, November 16, 2012

Seattle International Auto Show 2012

Warning: This post involves new, old, and restored motor vehicles most of which are hydrocarbon burning and carbon spewing vehicles. A lot of the vehicles are in the price range for the 1% er's and a few for us 99% er's. Those people looking for sailing info will probably be disappointed, move along.
 
Today was a good day for retired people like me to go to the Seattle International Auto Show while the working people were, well, working! The show is at the Century Link Event Center. The intent is to show new cars for the 2013 model year. As always, a lot of the displays are glitzy and the cars are displayed under bright lighting. Most of the well known(and lessor known) manufacturers were present. Cars are not for sale at this show, but many brands were offering discount coupons to those people who were really interested.
 
I spent a lot of time at the Ford display. There Shelby Mustang GT500 was a beauty. But the Dodge Challenger was also a car I could see myself in. So many choices! I was looking for smaller electric cars and finally found one off in the corner behind the Lincolns. I think an electric car could be a good way to get around for running errands and shopping. But so many of the major manufactures put in all the frills of a gas powered car at the cost of more weight and less range on a battery charge.
 
All the "exotic" cars were up on the mezzanine. Here were the Land Rovers, Jags, Bentley's, Porsche's, Lamborghini's, a McLaren and even a Smart Car. What! Did I say? Smart Car? I sure did! There was actually four of them including a convertible. I learned a lot more about them today. I often think they would be a great little car for running around town, or even taking a trip. I was always impressed with them when I was in Europe and am glad to see more of them here.
 
After a quick trip through the displays, I went back to the 1500 ferry, did not go to Ivar's and was home by 1615.
 
Here is the Beetle Shark Cage that was featured in a commercial.
It actually went underway.
Mustang Shelby GT500. 5.8 liter, DOHC, 4 valve, 5.8 liter V8 that puts out 662 hp.
I could sure see myself in this!
Of course, the Shelby Cobra badge.
Wasn't for sale, but who would not want a Mustang pool table?
Ford F150 Raptor. It has an off road tuned suspension and a 6.2 liter V8 engine. When I stepped up to get in, I reached for a handle on the windshield pillar. My F150 has one there. But there was no handle. When I set down, a guy came up and said that he saw me reach for the handle that was not there. He said that he used to work for Ford and thought it was a dumb idea when they stopped installing it. He was told that Ford wants you to pull on the steering wheel when you get in. Strange! I like the handle.
Restored 1951, Studebaker Champion Starlight 2-door coupe. On display from the LeMay Museum in Tacoma.
 Restored 1960 Chevrolet Corvette. Also on display from the LeMay Museum in Tacoma.
Dodge Challenger R/T with the 6.2 liter Hemi V8. When I started to get into this car, the young guy who just got out said "You want to fall asleep in there". I told him "No, I want to drive it!" If not the Mustang Shelby GT500, I could also see myself in this car.
 The obligatory Ferrari picture.
Bugatti Veyron. It has a four-turbocharged, 8 liter, 16 cylinder engine that generates 1001 hp and has a top speed of 253 mph. Sells for a mere $1.5 million!!!!!
 I like this little electric car. Simpler, smaller and less expensive than the electric cars produced by the big manufacturers, it still gets 100 miles on a charge. This would be a good vehicle for commuting and around town driving. I don't think any of the electric cars are practical for travelling very far, yet.
The main floor.

No comments: