Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Retirement

Work can be such a hair raising experiance!


Yesterday, I took a big step toward retirement. I submitted my paperwork to the regional HRO for processing. My retirement date is not until Jan2,2009, but they like the papers at least 120 days prior. I was not planning on submitting the papers until early Sept, but my local Admin office also has to originate documents that set up a schedule and sign off sheet for physical exams, tool room, security briefing and drawing/tech manual checkouts. I ask the admin assistant in our office about how to start the process, and she initiated it immediately.


Retirement is kind of a scary thing to do. I really don't think that money will be an issue. The big item I have is what to do with myself. Sure, I have lots of activities, but I need to keep motivated and not sit around and veg. I am sure I will miss the work, but not some of my coworkers :-). I will consider a second career, again not necessarily for the money. I will look into volunteer oppurtunities, but one of the big things I really want to do is travel. In my 30 years of traveling for the government, I have seen lots of the country along the shorelines. I want to see the Rocky Mountain states, Alaska, even Washington DC! One of the really neat things I am looking forward to is to sleep in (untill 6AM), have breakfast at the kitchen island, read the newspaper, watch the local news and PLAN MY DAY!


No comments: