Sunday, May 3, 2009

Race to the Straits Day Two-3May2009

Day two of the Race to the Straits was a far differant day than Day one. The sun was out early and as the first boat started, the winds were very light. By the time I started at 0929, the winds had filled into around 7 knots from the SE. "Rev", was suppose to start at 0826, but was swept passed the the starting line and started after 0900. "Slightly Ripped" was nowhere to be found at the start. Don't know what happened to him.

I started and headed straight out into Admiralty Inlet. The current was supposed to be flooding for the first hour, but once again it was hard to find favorable rivers of current. The fleet divided into two groups. One group worked the Marrowstone Island shore and another group worked up the Whidbey Island shore. I chose the Whidbey Island shore and stayed close to shore for current relief. Also had good lifts on the wind coming off the land. The winds increased to 10-12 knots and at times I thought about changing to a heavier jib, but the new light No. 1 jib was doing an awesome job.

After Point no Point, the winds shifted more easterly and the tacks along the Kitsap shore were long port tacks and short starboard tacks. Most of the boats worked the shore to stay out of the current. Past Kingston I kept going on port untill I could lay the mark at Shilshole. Most of the other boats tacked earlier and then short tacked up the King County shore. I past a few more boats that way. Finished at 1555.

By the time I finished, only about 5 boats had past me (including the Santa Cruz 70!) and there was only about 10-12 boats ahead of me. I got my revenge for yesterday! It was a warm day with great winds. I got a bit sunburned. I also counted up the number of tacks today. I came up with 29 tacks with the No1 headsail. Lots of grinding on the winches! I really did not feel very tired.

I could have won the single handed class or tied with "Rev" for first. Results are computed on the two days scores. Results when posted will be on: http://www.slooptavern.org/
Log for the weekend: 108.2 nautical miles

EDIT: results are up at
http://www.slooptavern.org/race_info/RaceToTheStraits/2009/race1.htm and it looks like I did place first in the singlehanded class! And it looks like I was the ninth boat to finish on Sunday.

Light winds at the start.
More light winds at the start.
Powered up and heading toward Appletree Point.

The track for the day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good description of the race and very good photos. Congratulations on placement in both the singlehanded category and overall.