Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Hedges and Lava Rock

WARNING: There is very little mention of sailing or motorcycle riding in this post!


For a couple of weeks I noticed a sign in front of a house on a side street that said: "Free-Lava Rock". There did not appear to be much left, but yesterday I went to the house and scrapped up a small truck load. Definatly more than it looked on the ground. It was dirty, but mainly mixed with sand. The lady that lived there took my number and said that there was more in the back yard and would call me when it was available.

I hauled it home and built up several inches of it along the garage. The previous owner also had put lava rock there, but such a thin layer that it was sinking into the dirt beneath it. Some of it also went into the landscape area on the other side of the driveway. If I get more of it I will be able to expand the coverage area along the driveway.

Then today, I spent several hours trimming the hedge. I have been putting this off for some time. First it was too hot, then too wet. Today was warm, but I started early before it got too hot. Now I have a large pile of clippings to run thru the chipper/shredder.



Lava rock along the garage. Dirty, but should clean up when it rains.
Almost finished with trimming the hedge.


Now some other stuff.

I am headed off on friday to Tacoma for the Vashon Challenge Race. This is a sailboat race around Vashon Island. This is a singlehanded/doublehanded event that I have always raced singlehanded. It will be a nice outing. I have reservations for Friday night at the Dock Street Marina that is on the Foss waterway right in front of the glass museum.

Tomorrow I am thinking about taking a motorcycle trip to Hurricane Ridge to go hiking. Suppose to be a nice day.

No comments: