Monday, November 9, 2009

Home Theater

The weather has been nasty for a few days, so I started thinking about some mods inside the house.

One of the cool things about my house that I liked when Ibought it was the home theater. The previous home owner installed surround sound speakers in the walls of the basement as well as a rack built into the wall for components. I actually had to buy the install seperate from the house. In other words, if I did not buy it, he would remove the speakers and patch the walls. We negotiated a rent agreement along with some cash (the realtor covered that part) and I ended up with a home theater. I don't watch that many movies and the TV is really not that wide or great. But one thing that always bothered me was the seating. Sure, it was fine when I was alone and I could set in the recliner. But the rest of the furniture was a hodge podge of a couch, rocker and recliner that was parked along the back wall. Those that set at the end had a bad angle to the screen and the surround sound was not set up as well for them.

So, today I built a riser to make tiered seating. $30 dollars of material and a few hours work and I had a 10" high riser that the couch set on and people sitting there can see over the recliner and rocker sitting on the floor. A lot like a real theater. The next step is to get the riser carpeted. And maybe someday some more or differant furniture for what sits on the floor. Making two rows of seating seems to take up less room than the single row of furniture along the back wall.

An accaintance is building something he calls his "man room". Basically it is a rec room and will have a wide screen TV. He too was thinking about making tiered seating. But since his room will have a sports theme, he was trying to find stadium seating. So far I don't think he has found anything that is available. Good idea though!

Making improvements on a home can be as much fun as making mods on a boat. That is why I don't think I could live on a boat again. I have too much fun having a "homebase" to return to.

Step up for seating in the back!




8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks good, you going to do the carpeting yourself?

Dan said...

I don't know yet.

Anonymous said...

When are you going to build the boat theater?

-Gerry

Dan said...

The boat is a sailing machine, not to be encumbered with domestic items!

doug said...

Will the table at left-front have a popcorn machine? And, do youi have "Pearl Harbor" in suround sound so we can turn the volume up to see if the screen vibrates?
司令官の相談室,
Douggie-san

Dan said...

I don't have "Pearl Harbor", but believe me Doug, it will shake the house.

Anonymous said...

The photo on interior page of this months 48 North is very good. You should get a copy and mount it in the movie room

Dave and Ava said...

I've been rockin' the joint for years with Dolby 1.1, 2.1, 3.1, 4.1, and 5.1 and considering THX. How come no DOT ZERO? Makes the glass shake! You need a blu ray DVD player fer sher and if your speakers are in-wall, probably 3.1. What is your speaker count? Center speaker over the TV? What amp do you have it hooked up to?

It's time for some films! I suggest Netflix, and they now have blu ray discs. Measure your seat-to-TV distance and look at the manual to see optimal distance. Looks like you have a good start. I get a lot of DVD's on eBay.

I will never forget the 80's seeing Olivia Newton-John and John Travolta in a home theater that featured 6 speakers and REAL theater seats, complete with a 35mm projector and we hadda get up at reel switch for another beverage! Love the technology over that system! I still have a laserdisc player in upstate NY and it still works with the 100 movies I have on laserdisc.

Agreed on the popcorn maker comment. I use Whirleypop popcorn maker. http://www.popcornpopper.com/24000.html
Best $25 bucks you'll spend for popcorn machine and then re-order their bags that contain popcorn, oil and seasonings later! Forget cardboard-tasting microwave or the big machine. Blah...

Good luck with the TV room and keep us updated!

Oh, and out east it's called a "Man Cave." Get in there fast, buddy!

-Dave and Ava in NYC