Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Motorcycle Trip to Sonoma, Ca, Infineon Raceway-Part 3 The Ride Home

After the races, I planned to ride home up the Oregon coast. My plan was to stop at Cape Blanco State Park and Fort Stevens State Park near Seaside.

After a very quiet last night at Infineon(everyone had left Sunday night except me and one other camp) I got underway at 0513. The weather was cool, but no rain. I stopped at Ukiah for breakfast and also put on some extra clothing. It has been a number of years since I have taken 101 north. It is still has nice scenery and the road is in great shape. The trip along the coast is my favorite.

I stopped in Crescent City for lunch and got to Cape Blanco early in the afternoon, set up camp and went for a walk to the lighthouse. 429 miles for the day.

During the night, the wind started blowing and it started raining. I was warm and dry all night in the tent. In the morning, I packed up and started riding north. It was really raining hard and my riding pants soaked through early on. I put on extra clothes and proceeded on. The rain stopped for a while near Newport, but picked up again near Tillamook. Since the weather was suppose to be worse on Wednesday, I decided to ride the rest of the way home and not spend another night on the coast. It was only 438 miles home! The rain quit as I got inland north of the Columbia River. Arrived home in the early evening.

Overall it was a really great motorcycle trip. Even the rain was not enough to discourage me. It is the NW. If you wait for the weather to be perfect, you may never get anythin done!

My total trip distance: 1732 miles.

Took a little side trip in northern California.
I always look for the "Ship Ashore" when I travel the coast. Just south of the Oregon/California border.

Cape Blanco.

Rock near Cape Blanco.

Shoreline north of Cape Blanco.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds as if you had a very enjoyable trip.