Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Labor Day Weekend Cruise Plus More

My yacht club often has cruises scheduled for the big three day weekends. For this Labor Day weekend, a cruise was scheduled to go to the Dock Street Marina in Tacoma. We have been to this marina before. It is located up the Foss Waterway in front of the Glass Museum. The plan was for the boats to arrive there on Saturday and return home on Monday. I chose to get underway on Thursday and make a couple of overnight stops before I arrived in Tacoma.

I got underway on Thursday and went to Blake Island. The marina was about half full when I arrived midday. I spent some time walking around the island and lounging in the sun.

Friday I got underway early and went to Dockton on Maury Island. Dockton is an old maritime community. There is a King County park with a large moorage. I was surprised that only three other boats were visiting when I arrived. I am used to seeing this moorage filled on three day weekends. I assembled the bicycle and went on a tour of Maury Island. I rode to Pt Robinson light house. I have sailed around this point many times, but this was the first time that I have been at the lighthouse. I continued on around Maury Island to Portage where Maury Island joins Vashon Island., then back to Dockton.

Saturday was a short trip across Commencement Bay to the Foss Waterway and Dock Street marina. I was the first boat there, so I went up town and played tourist. The old downtown area of Tacoma has turned into a upscale dining, shopping, theater area. Toward evening, the other boats arrived and we had a potluck dinner on the dock.

Sunday, nothing was planned, so I assembled the bicycle and took a 20 mile ride down Ruston Way and around Pt Defiance park. It was a good day for a ride. The terrain was hilly, but interesting. In the evening, six of us went to the Spaghetti Factory.

Monday was a four hour motor home in warm sunny weather. The whole weekend had superb weather and if was great to spend several days on the water.

 Beach on the west end of Blake Island.
 Campsites on the west end of Blake Island.
 Pt Robinson lighthouse.

 The moorage at Dockton County Park.
 Moored at Dock Street Marina in front of the Glass Museum.
 And the other way is the suspension bridge and Tacoma Dome.
 Burrito says "This cruising stuff is not so tough".
 A small group at the Spaghetti Factory for Sunday night dinner.
Leaving Foss Waterway on Monday morning.
 My route for Thursday, Friday and Saturday. I went from Brownsville to Blake Island, then to Dockton and finally Tacoma.
My route for Monday from Tacoma to Brownsville.

No comments: