Monday, May 7, 2012

Race To The Straits 2012 and Back From The Straits

This weekend was the annual Race To The Straits. This is a two day race from Shilshole Marina north of Seattle to Port Townsend on Saturday and return on Sunday. This race is for doublehanded(two people) and singlehanded(one person). Another unique part of this race is that the handicaps are applied at the start with the slowest boats starting at 0800 and the fastest boats starting nearly three hours later. In a perfect world, all the boats should be finishing at the same time.

All weekend, the winds were predicted to be light, but Saturday morning, the wind was south at about 8 knots. I set the spinnaker right at my started time and was off. I sailed to my target speeds and looked for rivers of current to assist. Near Point No Point, the current started turning to flood. I reached across toward Useless Bay on Whidbey Island. The bay was far from Useless as I found some current relief under Double Bluff. At the Double Bluff buoy(a mark on the course), there was a lot of congestion. I jibed and headed into Mutiny Bay. Many boats headed straight across towards Marrowstone Island, but had to  contend with two knots of flood current setting them left. After sailing into Mutiny Bay, I jibed and had a good line up the bluff south of Bush Point. Sailing in shallow water, I found good back eddies along the shore. "Schock Therapy" (Schock 35) and I sailed next to each other for miles along the shollow areas both trying for good current.

Once around Bush Point, I again followed the shore toward Lagoon Point. The flood current was still strong, but was starting to decrease, so I headed on a reach toward the finish. The winds shifted toward the left in Port Townsend Bay. Some boats jibed right and took a big hit. I managed to close reach into the finish at about 1614.

Saturday night was the traditional dinner, party and first day awards ceremony. I was first in my singlehanded division and won a nice travel mug with the races logo.

Sundays start was on time, but the wind was very light and a lot of boats could not get very far from the start line before later starting boats caught them. I started on time at the committee boat closest to the light wind from the Straits. It was a close reach to Marrowstone Point where the strong ebbing current stopped the boats. Some boats headed across Admiralty Inlet to attempt current relief on the east shore. I was swept north some before the wind filled in and the current abated. It was a nice run south toward the finish at Shilshole, the sun was out and the wind filled in. I started passing boats and by the time I reached the finish, I had a good placing and was first in my division. I finished about 1645.

It was a great weekend: sunny and warm with good winds most of the time. Sloop Tavern Yacht Club again put on a great event with nearly 100 entries!

Results are here: http://www.styc.org/race_info/RaceToTheStraits/2012/race1.htm


 My track north of Point No Point. Red track is Saturday's track from Shilshole to Port Townsend. Purple track is Sunday's track "Back From The Straits" from Port Townsend to Shilshole.

 My track south of Double Bluff. Red track is Saturday's track from Shilshole to Port Townsend. Purple track is Sunday's track "Back From The Straits" from Port Townsend to Shilshole.
 The J22 "22 Caliber" at the start Saturday.
 Chasing the earlier starters Saturday morning.
Lighter conditions along Whidbey Island.
The final reach across Port Townsend Bay toward the finish.
The light air at the start on Sunday.
Schock Therapy (Schock 35)

No comments: