Friday, August 10, 2012

Friday Harbor 8-10-2012

Today I am at Friday Harbor in the San Juan Islands. So why am I here? And how did I get hear? The why is easy, the Shaw Island Classic is tomorrow. This is a sailboat race from Friday Harbor around Shaw Island. So now that I told you why I am here, I also have partially answered how I got here. The short answer is by sailboat!

I started this trip Thursday morning. After topping off the fuel tank, I was underway to Port Townsend by 0850. This was a fantastic day. The sun was out and it got quite warm. I motored the entire way to Port Townsend and since the current was against me for most of the way, I took the shortcut through the Port Townsend canal. I found moorage for the night at Boat Haven which is on the west end of town.

After getting the boat settled in, I hiked to Downtown. First stop , William James Bookseller for some reading material, then onto the Maritime Center to look at some boats being built. Then back to Boat Haven with a side trip to the Town Dock. I was tempted at Waterfront Pizza, but I did not stop for even one slice.

This morning, my alarm went off at 0500 (yes! 0500!) and I was underway at 0525. The current was only going to be ebbing for a short time before the flood would occur. I motored past Pt Wilson and about two miles later, the fog settled in. Visibility stayed at about ¼ mile until I entered San Juan Channel.. I did not see anything during the crossing. From the nav computer, I knew there were other boats around and I also knew where I was. This is the first time in 37 years of crossing the Strait of Juan de Fuca that I have not seen Smith Island at least a little!

I arrived at Friday Harbor around 1030 and found my reserved slip. The staff was very helpful and glad to see me again. After cleaning up the boat and a short nap, I went up town to all my favorite destinations. I walked up to the large grocery store near the airport. Most visitors do not know about this store and stop at Kings in downtown Friday Harbor. I also checked in at my favorite breakfast cafĂ©, Rocky Bay, to see what time they open. Later I need to go up to San Juan Island Yacht Club to receive my race packet. I did not bring a bicycle with me on this trip. Usually I bring a bicycle and ride to Roche Harbor and down the West Side of San Juan Island. Oh well, next time!
Race Tomorrow!

No comments: