Monday, February 25, 2013

Cruz Down The Coast-A Winter Camping Adventure

Last week I decided to take a "Cruz" down the Washington and Otrgon coasts. I confused a lot of people by calling it a Cruise. They thought I was taking the boat down the coast. But my "Cruz" was a car trip that involved camping for three nights a national and state campgrounds. I have been thinking about this for a few months to see if it is doable. I do not own a RV, so my camping consisted of sleeping in the back of my pickup and cooking under a canopy on the rainy days. Not the usual way people camp in the winter.
 
I got underway early Monday morning. I drove north around the Olympic Peninsula to the coast with my first stop at Rialto Beach in the Olympic National Park. I then backtracked and drove to the small village of La Push. Back again to Highway 101, I continued south through Forks. I decided a side trip to the Hoh Rain Forest was in order, so of I went up that road. Not many people were there and the visitors center was closed. After a short hike, off again I went to hook up with Hwy 101 again. I continued south to the National Park Campground at Kalaloch. I selected a great campsite overlooking the beach and the ocean and set up my canopy to provide some shelter from the rain. A campfire kept the chill off during the early evening until I retreated to my warm sleeping bag.
 
Tuesday evening I was underway early again and headed down Hwy 101 until the first opportunity to head back toward the ocean and Pacific Beach. I continued south to Ocean Shores for breakfast. After breakfast, I drove around Greys Harbor through Aberdeen to Westport. After a quick stop at Westport, I continued through Grayland and Tokeland to 101 at Raymond. From there I continued on to Long Beach for lunch and then to Cape Disappointment State Park where I was assigned a great camping site near the ocean. I hiked out to the North Head Light and the light at Cape Disappointment(Cape 'D"). This was a great sunny day but as night approached, it did get cold!
 
Wednesday, once again, I was underway early and crossed into Oregon. In keeping with driving the roads closest to the ocean, I left 101 near Warrenton and took a side trip through Fort Stevens State park to view the South Jetty and the wreck of the old sailing ship Peter Iredale. Again on 101, I continued south to Seaside and another side trip and on south until I reached Tillamook. Here I stopped at the cheese factory(something I have always wanted to do) before continuing on to the Air Museum in Blimp Hanger 'B' of the old Naval Air Station. That is a huge structure that was built during World War II and now houses a great display of old aircrafts and artifacts as well as dry storage for rent. After the visit, I continued on to Cape Lookout State Park were I set up camp again. I was hoping to hike to Cape Lookout, but I arrived too late in the day. This was a very stormy and rainy day, but with the right equipment, I stayed dry and comfortable.
 
Thursday, I again was again on the road early(have you noticed a trend here?) and drove back roads through Pacific City to the Little Nestucca Road that took me through the Coast Range to Highway 18 that I followed to McMinnville. At McMinnville, I visited the Evergreen Aviation Museum for several hours. I have been here before and was looking forward to seeing it again. On the road again, I drove to I5 and followed it north arriving home in the late afternoon.
 
This was a great road trip. I knew that it could be cold and stormy and it was for some of the days. But with the right equipment, I was dry and comfortable. The bunk I built in the back of the pickup provided a dry place to sleep. I proved to myself that this kind of winter camping is doable.
 
 Crescent Lake
 Rialto Beach
 La Push from across the James River.
 James Island
 For Twilight fans, they should know that this marks the beginning of the werewolf territory.
Hoh Rain Forest.
Westport 
 Long Beach, DUH!
 North Head Light.
 The Coast Guard was training at the cliffs of North Head.
 Cape Disappointment Light.
 The Oregon Coast near Manzanita
 Cheese please!
The blimp hanger at Tillamook
 Typical campsite at Cape Lookout State park.
 How did that 747 end up on top of the building? The water park at Evergreen Aviation Museum at Mc Minnville.
 The Spruce Goose and I!
What I did for most of the time, I CRUISED!

No comments: