Monday, August 12, 2013

The Pony Car Project-Feeding The Beast

The Mustang runs on gasoline, 87 octane unleaded gasoline. And it runs pretty efficiently. It has plenty of power and yet it gets good gas mileage. But since I have owned it, I knew that it was probably being starved. One of the first tests that I did was to check the fuel pressure. It was lower than the specs allowed. This may have been why it had a hesitation when accelerating and would sometimes not start when it was cold. Fuel pump failure and degradation is not unusual on these cars.
 
So I ordered a fuel pump kit from Late Model Restoration. The kit included almost everything I needed. In addition, I did order a new filler pipe seal, new lockring and a fuel line tool kit. The pump I bought was a larger capacity pump than stock and is rated at 190 liters per hour(lph). This was recommended and also a prudent thing to do.
 
I started this project about 1 pm and was finished by 3:30. It was clumsy trying to remove the tank and balancing it on the floor jack. Only two bolts and straps hold the tank to the car. The hoses and wiring was easy to disconnect. The new pump installed easily into the existing bracket and I hooked up the new hose and connector.
 
The reinstallation was also  awkward to pull off. This time not only did I have to balance the tank on the floor jack, I also had to force the filler pipe into the new, tight seal. I finally got the tank into position and secured the straps around it. Again, the hose and electrical connections were easy to complete. Fortunately the tank does not weigh much and it was nearly empty of gas.
 
The Mustang started right up and I checked the fuel pressure. Now the pressure was right in the middle of the acceptable range and it did not fall off when I revved the engine. I took the Mustang out for a drive and as I had hoped, it did seem to run better. The hesitation seems to be gone and the car accelerates much stronger. Furthermore it seems like less throttle is needed to cruise at speed. Feed it and it will run!
 The fuel tank has to be removed to access the fuel pump.
 The fuel pump assembly removed from the fuel tank. The bracket, hoses and flange are reused.
The fuel pump kit: pump, hose and clamps, wiring pigtail, lock ring, filler pipe seal and filter sock.

No comments: