Tuesday, December 10, 2013

The Pony Car Project-The Eyes Are The Window Of The Soul

Headlights are the "eyes" of a car. They are one of the first things that you notice when you approach a car. Some cars hide their headlights and only show them after dark. The 1979-1986 Mustangs had four headlights and the car was referred to as a "four eye".

My Mustang has what is referred to as the aerodynamic front end. The headlights, marker lights and turn signals are molded into the front fairings. I have wanted to change the light set for some time. One headlight had the bulb socket melt (and fog the inside), all of the light were dulled and I could not get them any brighter. Some of the plastics were crazed and chipped around the edges. But the greatest reason for changing the light set was just to update the car and while I was at it, I really wanted smoked lenses to give have a "stealth" look.

For "Black Friday" and until December 6th, Late Model Restoration
(http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/1979-93-Mustang) had a sale on a lot of their items. One thing that I noticed was a substantial savings on their Ultra smoked light set. This is a clear, non ribbed headlight set with a slight dark appearance. I ordered it (along with an upgraded alternator kit) and it arrived last Friday. I installed the lights yesterday.

 Here is the Mustang with the older non-smoked headlights. The fog lights are smoked already.
 This is the left side turn signal, headlight and marker light. They are very shiny and the lenses clear with a slight dark appearance.
  Here are the lights installed and illuminated. I was concerned that they would be too dark at night. But they seem as bright as the old lights. LMR suggests buying a brighter set of light bulbs. I think I will wait until I get these lights adjusted better before I consider new bulbs.
 Even without the lights on, the lights have a stealthy look.
 Even without the lights on, the lights have a stealthy look. This car would look good painted black.
 And today, I made a trip to a wrecking yard and picked some parts off a 1983 and a 1991 Mustang. Good finds and a great price!

No comments: