Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Progressive International Motorcycle Show

Saturday I went to Seattle to go to Progressive International Motorcycle Show at the Washington Convention Center. I caught the 0845 ferry and after a brisk 20 minute walk up hill to the Convention Center. I arrived about 5 minutes after the 1000 opening time. Each year that I have gone to this show, the entrance procedure is different. This year they again moved the entry gates and a long line extended through a narrow hallway for about 100 yards. It went quickly and soon I was on the show floor.

This show is mainly for manufacturers to show their new motorcycle lines, equipment and apparel. As always, there were many vendors trying to clean your glasses with their anti fog coating and numerous booths that could heal your sore feet or achy back. As always, there was also displays of custom bikes that could be voted for best in show as well as a corral of  restored and custom motorcycles.

I toured the displays and looked at the new motorcycles. I was disappointed that the Ural and Eric Buell Racing motorcycles were not shown. Both have local dealers. Before heading out, I attended a interview session with Scott Russell, a champion motorcycle road racer.

When I left the convention center, it was pouring rain. I headed downhill through Pike Place Market to the waterfront and after a stop for lunch at Ivars, I caught the 1500 ferry home.
 Nitro methane fueled drag bike. The rider cranks the throttle wide open at the start and does not let off for the entire run or it could blow up. When the throttle hits wide open, a switch activates the computer that engages the clutch, the bike launches and the driver hangs on! If I remember correctly, it has ET's in the low 6 second range and a top speed at a quarter mile of around 200 mph.
 Allstate Insurance had this Arlen Ness customized Victory motorcycle.
 This is a working replica of Bert Munro's Indian Motorcycle that he raced at Bonneville in the early 1960's. His story was portrayed in the movie "The Worlds Fastest Indian".
 It is tight squeeze to get in this thing. And for accuracy, this bike had a wine bottle cork for a gas cap.
 How appropriate, a Seahawks Motorcycle!
 The ultimate cruiser, with a 502 CI Chevy V8.
 I was surprised to see Royal Enfields from India. There is a new dealer in town.
 There seemed to be a lot more people than previous years.
On the way back to the ferry, I took the compulsory side trip to Post Alley and the Gum Wall. 

No comments: