Wednesday, September 17, 2014

What A Long Strange Trip This Has Been, And It Is Not Over Yet!

It all started on Mar 11th. Those that follow my blog might remember the circumstances. I went to Woodinville with a rented UHaul car dolly to get a "free" 1990 Ford Bronco II. It would not run and the owner was frustrated and just wanted to get rid of it. I loaded it on the dolly and was checking the tie downs when I tripped over the tongue of the dolly and fell on the pavement. Because of the fall, I broke my hip.
The cars previous owner took me to the Bellevue Group Health Urgent Care. They confirmed the fracture in my femur and scheduled me for surgery within a couple of hours. The surgeon elected to perform a "hip pinning" operation where after setting the displaced fracture, he would put screws through the fracture to hold it together. He wanted to do this instead of replacing the joint because I am "young" and active and would do better with my own hip joint. There were some risks that it would not heal properly or the blood supply could be disrupted resulting in the femur head dying. As early as two months after surgery, the surgeon told me that the xrays were "concerning" to him. The fracture zone appeared to be collapsing, the screws were pushed out into my thigh and I had lost nearly 3/4 inch of leg length. I also had trouble putting weight on it. After a couple more months and more degradation, we mutually decided to proceed with a hip replacement. 
So today, my journey takes me here for a total hip replacement surgery. This will be my home for a couple of nights and then my sister will take me to my parents home for a couple of days. I am not really looking forward to this. But hopefully this will relieve the pain and discomfort that I have and hopefully  I can walk soon without a crutch. My legs should once more be the same length. Most of what I read and here from others leads me to believe that I should be back on my feet soon and that I should be able to resume my usual activities.
 The saga continues!





No comments: