Friday, July 10, 2015

A New Belt For Ulysses

I remember the day and time when it happened. I was riding my Buell XB12X Ulysses motorcycle up the road to Sunrise at Mount Ranier National Park. The road was freshly chip sealed. I felt a thump and heard a bang. I did not find anything wrong, but after I got home, after a closer inspection I found a small hole through the drive belt. Evidently a small rock from the chip seal stuck to the outside of the belt, rolled over the idler pulley and pierced the belt from the outside.

I did not stress too much over the damage. Most of what I read on the internet said that it was minor damage and the Harley Davidson people (Harley discontinued the Buell line in 2010 GRR!) said that with the fiber orientation in the belt, that a small hole would probably not weaken the belt much. I continued to ride the Uly for a while and did not ride at all last year after breaking my hip.  A few weeks ago I found a new belt for sale on Ebay at a good price from St Paul Harley (Harley again GRR!). So today I finally carved out a block of time to change it.

The whole belt changing process is not too complicated. It just requires the removal and reinstallation of a lot of components: fender, belt guard, drive pulley cover, two chin fairing screws, idler pulley, foot peg bracket, brake pedal and master cylinder, partial removal of the rear axle and removal of part of the swing arm. Most of the fasteners are either allen head or torx head machine screws. Did not have to remove the rear wheel, but did have to jack the back of the bike off the ground. It took me about an hour and a half including being interrupted by a phone call.

After everything was reassembled and properly torqued, I went for a short ride. Everything worked fine. Now Ulysses has a new belt. Hopefully I can get out and ride now!

 The old belt almost removed.
 The new belt installed. Just need to install the covers, guards, foot peg bracket and rear brake lever and master cylinder.
 Here is the culprit. No, not the toothpick, but the small hole in the belt.
And always present, the shop manual.

No comments: