Friday, January 1, 2010

Happy New Year! Now What?

Well, here we are in the year 2010. The New Year festivities are past, the football games are winding down and people are starting to talk about New Years Resolutions.

I am not a person that proclaims what my New Years resolutions are. I really don't have many. Or any. I really don't know if that is a good thing or a bad thing. I suppose that a resolution for me is to get my weight back down, but that is something that is a ongoing struggle. A few weeks of illness (like I have been going through lately) and not being able to ride the bicycle and my weight starts creeping up. Hopefully I can start riding again soon. I am tired of being sick. At least I still work out in my home gym.

But maybe my future plans are my resolutions? Well, here is a short list of things I need or want to accomplish:

Sailboat racing. Every few weeks there will be a race and contrary to my rants a few weeks ago, I will continue sailboat racing for the forseeable future.

Boat maintenance. Goes hand in hand with racing.

More cruising in the sailboat.

Bicycle riding(I mentioned that above).

Crosscountry sking. I have not done that in a few years.

Motorcycle Touring.

More hiking.

Shampoo the carpets. I know, this is pretty domestic stuff, but it needs to be done. And I do have the shampooer.

Carpet the home theater riser.

Build a storage locker in a "void" in one of my rooms.

Take a short overseas trip to one of the locations I frequented when I worked. I do need to use up some of my frequent flyer miles.

And many more short day trips!

So, I guess this must be my list of New Year's Resolutions! I never really think about it much. Every year has been so great that I never think of the New Year as a time of renewal or a new beginning. I have been so thankful for my life and the oppurtunities and look forward to the future, new year or not. Now if I can only remember to write 2010 on my checks!

More bicycle riding!


I enjoyed my two motorcycle camping trips last summer. I would like to do this again this year as well as more long day trips. This is Lake Ozzette.

This is Dry Falls in eastern Washington.
Another trip(or two) to the San Juans this year should be in the works. Maybe this year I can pull off a early spring cruise. This is Jones Island.
This is Friday Harbor in the San Juan Islands. I visited this town four times last year. Friendly town and a great jumping off point to ride the bicycle around San Juan Island. I will spend a few days here this year.
This picture is like a "Where's Waldo". And I can pick out my boat in all the masts.
The home theater riser needs to be carpeted.
My half hull boat model is coming along nicely. Still have more painting and finish work to do.




3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your first year of retirement. Takes a while to get your feet under you after working for so many years.

The list you have is short enough that it is doable but long enough that you should be staying busy all year.

doug said...

As for frequenting locations you went to "on the job", the Hotel New Yokosuka has vacation rates and would really welcome you too. You wouldn't have to worry about the project folks. Nice squid breakfast. YUM!

doug said...

わずか17平日はここを残しました。
(Only 17 work days left here.)
Douggie-san.