Friday, April 16, 2010

Spring Skiing at Hurricane Ridge

So is it still winter or is it spring. By the calender it is spring. When you see how much snow is left in the mountains you are sure that it is still winter. But with the sun shining and the temperature warm you know it is spring. Such is the dilemma of skiing in April.

I chose to go skiing today partly because the weather was suppose to be good, but partly I waited untill the end of the week because we went through a spell of heavy snow and the avalance danger was high. In the last week, a hiker got caught in a avalance in the Cascades near Snouqalmie Pass.

There was still lots of snow at Hurricane Ridge although the roads were clear. When I started down the trail, the snow was a bit icy under the trees. I skied to the end of the unplowed road and started towards Hurricane Hill which is three miles from the visitors center.. When I started the steeper climb above the end of the unplowed road, it soon became apparent that with all the fresh snow, the climbing was difficult and there were a number of large cornices just off the route. So, I retreated the two miles back to the visitors center. I still had a great time. The weather was sunny and the temp got up to 50 degrees. I still had a good workout and covered lots of elevation changes. One of my east coast friends probably would think I should have used a snowmobile!

I drove into Port Angeles and spotted the "Lady Washington" and "Hawaiian Chieftan" tied to the public docks. The "Lady Washington is a replica of a early trading ship that visited the NW in the early 1800's. I stopped to take a few pictures before driving home.

Quoth the raven. Nevermore.










Hurricane Hill


I had skied most of the way across the top of this ridge before turning back. Notice the size of the cornices. I skied above them.


Me with the Bailey Range beyond.


Not too many cars in the parking lot.

"Hawaiian Chieftan" (foreground) and "Lady Washington"(beyond) moored at Port Angeles.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good photos. Appears that the Olympics in that area have a pretty good snow base. Not much water worries for them this summer. Do you know how long are the two ships are supposed to be in PA?

Dan said...

The schedule for the Lady Washington and Hawaiian Chieftan can be found here:

http://www.ladywashington.org/

Looks like they are underway to Sequim for viewing on April 21.