Friday, September 3, 2010

Busy Friday and Friday Night Boat Races

Today was a busy day. I suppose this is what most people think us retirees do every day!

I was up at 0600, made breakfast and read the newspaper. Following breakfast I spent some time on the computer working on some sailboat handicapping stuff. Then off to the home gym and weight trained for an hour. Finally off on one of the road bicycle for a 19.5 mile ride.

I returned in time for lunch and since I was going sailboat racing at Port Orchard, made some eats for later in the evening. I left the house about 1330 and went to the boat. I spent some time cleaning the boat and was underway by 1500 for the 1-1/2 hour delivery to Port Orchard for a 1800 race.

The racers started arriving and it became quickly apparent that the race committee was not going to show. So, a start/finish line was established and one boat sounded the starting signals.

I had a great start and tried to navigate the calm areas on the way to the first mark. I held the lead although "Falcon" was close to me at the first mark. I was not worried about them as they are in a different class. "Tantrum II" and "Tantalus" rounded the weather mark several minutes behind me.

I set the spinnaker and had a fast run even though the wind was only about 6 knots. I worked on sailing at the boats "target speeds" and gained more on the field. At the leeward mark, I had a clean spinnaker takedown and had a easy beat to the finish. Since I was the first boat to finish, I had to take my time and the times of the boats behind. I easily saved my time on "Tantrum II" and was ahead of "Tantalus" (we rate the same). I probably saved my time on "Falcon" and was 1st overall.

I managed to get away from Port Orchard at about 2030 and was back to Brownsville at 2100 after a nice motor back in the dark., arriving back home at about 2130.

Now, does that sound like I stayed busy enough? Oh, and tomorrow I will probably go to the car show/flyin at the Bremerton Airport.

No comments: