Friday, September 10, 2010

Is it better to be good or lucky?

Tonight was the second sailboat race of the 4 race Six Pack series in Port Orchard. Like last week, we did not have a race committee. Again one boat sounded the starting signals. I had a great start on the left side, but did not hug the marina like I usually do. Because the wind was so skewed to the left, I thought I could work up on the boats to weather without overstanding the mark.

No sooner did the start happen when the wind shifted about 70 degrees to the right making starboard tack favored to the first mark. I tacked to starboard and found I could lay the mark. I got up to speed and was soon leading the fleet. The wind lifted more and soon I was close reaching to the first mark.

Now I had a dilemma. The spinnaker and pole was set up for a starboard set and the wind was now a direction which meant the pole needed to be on port. No problem, I tacked around the mark and set the spinnaker on the weather side of the jib and pulled it around the jib to the leeward side, set the pole and off we went!

The wind was quite far forward and puffy making control interesting. I did round up a few times. So, before I got too close to the leeward mark I headed down wind some to blanket the spinnaker and then we took down the spinnaker with a perfect letterbox takedown. Did not even get the sail wet.

The rest of the race was a close reach to the finish because of the unusual wind direction. I won my class, but one or more boats in the second class could have corrected on us. It is hard to save your time over smaller boats when the course is all reaching.

After the race I was talking to a friend. His normal ride did not show, so he got a ride on another boat in my class. He was telling me that the owner/skipper of the boat he sailed on was always making comments that my success in this race was all luck? LUCK?

So lets review the important parts:
1. The start-I stayed close to the line and was up to speed at the start. Luck or skill?

2. Picking up the wind shift at the start- everyone got the shift at the same time. Luck or skill?

3. Setting the spinnaker and getting it around the jib. Luck or skill?

4. Executing a great letterbox spinnaker takedown without getting the sail wet. Luck or skill?

Maybe the wind shift was the closest thing to being luck. Everything else was a well thought out maneuver.

So I guess if my success tonight was luck, then the following quote may be applicable:

"Luck is where opportunity meets preparation. "

I can accept that!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Many people blame their shortcomings on others having all the luck. Luck is best defined as planning ahead and being observant.