Monday, February 21, 2011

The Great Bronco Engine Transplant- Timing Is Critical

Originally, the plan to transplant the V8 engine into the Bronco was not much more than make the minimum amount of mods to the engine, install it, see how it runs and decide what to do with it later.

Some modification to the engine was necessary. The oil pan needed to be changed to a double sump pan to clear the front crossmember of the Bronco. When I changed the oil pan, I also intended to change the rear main seal. It was leaking badly and when I changed it, it was apparent that it was no good. In fact, half of it was missing!

But the strange thing was the small pieces of plastic that I found in the old oil pan. It did not take much research to determine that the plastic was really pieces of nylon from the nylon/aluminum timing gear sprocket on the camshaft. The shop manual warned that it could be an issue.

I determined I needed to at least pull the timing gear cover off the front of the engine to inspect the timing gear. So I ordered the necessary gaskets, puller for the harmonic balancer and since it really was not that expensive, I went ahead and ordered a double roller timing gear set. Of course, the new timing gear would not be compatable with the old two piece fuel pump eccentric, so I also had to order a new one piece eccentric.

Today I disassembled the front of the engine and sure enough, the nylon/aluminum camshaft timing sprocket was missing pieces of nylon. The missing nylon was exposing the aluminum under the teeth and it too was badly worn.

Now all I need is a longer dowel pin that aligns the camshaft, timing sprocket and fuel pump eccentric. The one that came with the timing gear set was too short. Drat! I read that that could happen and several fixes have been suggested.

The new double roller timing gear set from Ford Racing. What a thing of beauty!
The old nylon/aluminum camshaft sprocket. Not so pretty!

No comments: