Thursday, May 26, 2011

Miscellaneous Ramblings, "Or Whats The Point?"

As a retired person, I should be allowed to do odd things during my days that may seem pointless to some people. So, here are a few of my miscellaneous ramblings.

Yesterday, the weather was looking nasty, so what better time to go to the beach? Not some exotic beach, but an exposed point in North Kitsap. I also wanted to drive the reengined Bronco II for a longer trip to test it better. So I decided to drive north to Hansville and Point No Point. At Pt No Pt, I went for a walk on the beach. No, there were no sunbathing people drinking fancy drinks with umbrellas in them. In fact there were only two other people walking their dog. It was cool, but the wind was not strong. That was too bad, because I wanted to fly my stunt kite. As I left, it started raining. I drove the long way back, past Skunk Bay, Little Boston, Kingston and Poulsbo. The Bronco behaved well, but the temperature still fluctuates. Drove nearly 100 miles.

Today, I read in the paper about a tug that was at Bremerton for the Harbor Fest this weekend. It was built in 1944 as the ATA202 and later named USS Wampanoag. After the war, it was turned over to the Coast Guard and renamed Comanche (WMEC202). It is now owned by a group trying to restore it. It is on the Registry of Historic Ships. So, I drove to Manette, walked across the bridge and out to the breakwater to where the Comanche was moored. Unfortunately, no one was around and it was not open for tours. I would have liked to have gone aboard. Maybe Monday.

While on my walk, I did talk to a couple of people I knew and helped another with directions on how to get to Highway 101.

After walking back to the car at Manette, I decided to drive to Silverdale. The wind was really hooting, and it was a great day to fly the stunt kite. There is a grassy area at the waterfront park right next to the water. I set up my larger kite and flew for about an hour. The wind was so strong that I really had to brace to not be pulled over!

After I got home, the 180 degree thermostat and new transmission vacuum modulator arrived from Summit Racing. I changed them out and flushed the cooling system again. The shifting remained the same with the new modulator, but the temperature seems to be fluctuating less and the electric fan is keeping the temperature from spiking during stops.

So, there you have it, two days of nothing exciting, no fancy meals or exotic destinations. And now tonight, I am washing clothes and packing up my sailing gear. I am leaving the house at 0500 to drive to port Angeles to catch the first Coho run to Victoria. I am going to race on a boat in the Swiftsure Race from Victoria to the Pacific Ocean and back. The owner and his wife are letting me stay in their guest room again. The race starts Saturday morning and hopefully we will be finished before the last Coho run leaves Victoria on Sunday evening at 1900.

So there you have it, more pointless ramblings!
The lighthouse at Point No Point. It was built in 1878 and like a lot of lighthouses has been turned over to a group of citizens to maintain and show.
The new bridge is coming along nicely and should open this summer.
USS Comanche moored to the Bremerton Marina breakwater.
USS Comanche moored to the Bremerton Marina breakwater.

No comments: