Thursday, May 19, 2011

Quick Trip To Victoria BC.

Last weekend I took a quick trip to Victoria BC. I traveled on the 0820 MV Coho from Port Angeles on Saturday morning, spend the night and returned on the 1030 MV Coho run from Victoria. I did not do any shopping, sightseeing or take in any of the other attractions. I was there on somewhat of a business trip. I did sail on a boat during a practice session to get ready for future excursions.

The MV Coho in Port Angeles. This is the first time I have ever taken the Coho to Victoria. Almost every other time has been by private boat. For a vessel built in 1959 and in continuous operation, I thought it was clean, in great condition with a friendly efficient crew. Probably better than our Washington State Ferries.....

Entering Victoria Harbor with the Empress Hotel in the background. I always like this view when I come in on a boat. For the Swiftsure Race, the boats raft up in front of the Empress. It always seems fun to boat into the downtown of a major city. Most of the sailboat masts in this photo were boats that had competed in the Oregon Offshore Race from Astoria to Victoria. They had been finishing during the previous 24 hours, three were still at sea but within sight of Victoria and one was dismasted when a whale jumped onboard. They retired and returned to Astoria.

The boat I sailed on during the Saturday practice session.

No comments: