Monday, August 15, 2011

Big Red Is Back In The Stables


Big Red returned to the bicycle stables yesterday. I had loaned it to a friend five years ago when I was living on my boat and I needed more room in my storage unit. He was not using it anymore, so he returned it.

I originally bought Big Red in 1987 during a grim time in my life. It is a Cannondale MT800, welded aluminum frame mountain bike. The frame cracked soon after I bought it and it was warrantied with a new frame. It has gone through a lot of changes. I have changed the gear configuration and shifters three times: from 15 speeds, to 18, then 21 and recently 24. I added the front suspension fork. Several different pedal systems. Many wheels. Very few parts are original. And not all the paint is left on the frame!

I used to race it and ride it extensively offroad. It hurt me badly once, but I forgave it for that incident. I also used to carry it on the boat and it has taken me places in various parts of the San Juan Islands and British Columbia.

After I had spinal surgery in 1994, it just did not feel as comfortable offroad as it used to. So I bought a dual suspension mountain bike(duallie) that treated my back better. Big Red was outfitted with street tires and was used for commuting to work and running errands.

Today I got it out and tuned it up. When I loaned it out, it really was not in the best of shape. The brake pads were worn out and the cables were rusty. I found some lightly used brake pads and a complete, almost new front brake assembly in my used parts collection. I changed out the brakes, pads and lubed the cables. The rear brakes are a system that are not used anymore and because of the frame mounting studs, they are the only ones that can be used. So, I took apart the brake arms and cleaned and lubed them. They work great again and I can stop! It is great to have the tools, spare parts and skills to fix my bicycles.

I then went out for an hour ride in Illahee Preserve on the single track trails. It is different to ride then the duallie. Yet the riding style is not bad, just different. The early Cannondale mountain bikes had really high ground clearance. This helps clear obstacles in the woods, but also makes it a stretch to put a foot on the ground. The hardtail did not seem as harsh as I thought it would be and climbing is better then the duallie.

Great to have it back in the stable!

1 comment:

Base Camp Trekking said...

interesting article sharing about Russian Sail Training Ship Pallada thanks i like your blog