Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Mt. Ellinor Hike(or was it a climb?)

Yesterday I got out of town for a hike. My intent was to hike up Mt Ellinor in the SE Olympic Mountains. I left the house early and after stopping for breakfast I was at the trailhead at 0800. The trailhead elevation is 3500 feet. I loaded up my gear and set out.

I intended to take the "summer" route up the mountain. This route heads up a route that has a developed trail up the south ridge. But when I reached 4300 feet of elevation, the trail was covered in snow. When I reached the intersection with the "winter" route, I could see that the "winter" route was still filled with snow, so I went that way. The "winter" route is a steep chute that fills with snow and heads straight up the mountain.

I started up the chute following two people I could see ahead. I followed in their steps so I did not have to kick my own steps. About a third of the way up, the rocks were exposed and I had to climb over them to get back on the snow. At about the halfway point I caught up with the two people at another rocky section. It was a bit harder here to get from the snow to the rocks, I had to jump down a few feet. Here the other two people decided that they were not equipped for the the snow and headed back down. After crossing the rocks, I was once more on the snow. Here it was more icy and I stopped and put the crampons on. This helped a lot.

Near the top of the chute, once again the rocks were exposed and I had to climb over them to the saddle between Mt Ellinor and Mt Washington. This saddle was filled with snow and I could see snow for the remaining 400 feet to the summit of Mt Ellinor. There was bare rock around the edges of the snow and I took this route to the summit at 5994 feet.

It was clear to the north of the summit and fog was blowing in from the south. The view to the north was spectacular and the whole Olympic range was visible. While I ate lunch, the chipmunks and a mountain goat patrolled around looking for handouts.

From the summit I could see that at least the upper portion of the "summer" route was clear of snow. This switchbacks down the face of the mountains over broken rock. Eventually I reached snow and hiked down the snow until I reached the tree line and once again found the trail and hike the rest of the way to the trailhead arriving there at 1300.

It was a nice warm. sunny day to be outdoors doing something strenuous. Furthermore, I drove the reengined Bronce and it preformed great.

 This is the "winter" route up the snow filled chute. It is steep. Usually the snow is gone by May or June and the chute is a gully filled with boulders.
 Looking down from the top of the route. Lake Cushman is the body of water.
 Looking NW across the Olympics. Mt Olympus is visible in the distance.
 Fog blowing over Mt Washington.
 A little beggar on the summit.
 This was one of several mountain goats that I saw.
 This was one of several mountain goats that I saw.
 Looking back up part of the "summer" route still covered with snow.
Looking up to the summit from the parking lot. You can see the trail traversing the open green spot just before it goes down into the snow.

1 comment:

Matt Brennan said...

Nice photos, Dan.