Thursday, March 14, 2013

Harbor Freight Tools, aka Harbor Freight

Yesterday, I drove to Tacoma to shop at Harbor Freight. For those that don't know what Harbor Freight is, it is a tool store that specializes in inexpensive tools. Most of the tools are imported and are of dubious quality. But even if they are not high quality, there are a lot of tools for sale there that are not as readily available. And since the prices are cheap, I feel that I can purchase tools for a few uses and if they fail they can be discarded. Most of what I have bought has held up well, but if I want something of good quality I go elsewhere.

A example was the lifting equipment I bought when I was replacing the engine in the Bronco. I needed an engine hoist to remove the engine out of the Granada and move the engine around the garage, remove the Bronco's engine and later load it into a truck when I sold it, install and remove the engine into the Bronco several times as well as several other miscellaneous lifts around the house. This all went on over a matter of at least six months. A friend had a discount coupon for a 2 ton, folding leg, hydraulic engine hoist for about $75 off regular price. So for much cheaper than renting a hoist multiple times, I own my own and it is always available to use. Some people have said that the hydraulic cylinder will fail. I really don't care, I got my moneys worth out of it. I can always fix it. Over the years I have bought many specialized tools that may only be used a few times: pullers, multi meters, vacuum pump, digital calipers, engine stand, etc.

A few days ago I got a mailer from Harbor Freight for items on sale. I noticed a couple of items for sale that I have wanted to progress on some ongoing suspension work on the Bronco. I drove to Harbor Freight and bought a set of car ramps and a ball joint press set. But there was so much more to see and of course lots of stuff is always on sale. I was a good boy and I left with the two things that I went there for.

BUT, I picked up some flyer's for future sale days. I already see some more things that I might want to buy! So maybe I will go back in April. So for the day, I felt smug by what I scored and was gobsmacked by all the cool things to look at.

 Ball joint service kit. I will use this when I rebuild the front end on the Bronco. A lot of people have said they either build there own tools for this or manage without anything extra. I would like to do it right and I found out that this kit can be used on things other ball joints.
Car ramps. With some of the work going on, I feel more comfortable using these to elevate the Bronco so that I can get underneath. I have watched the neighbor use his ramps for several years and I finally decided I needed my own.

No comments: