Tuesday, March 26, 2013

The Pony Car Project-Smoothing Out the Drive

Before I bought the Mustang, the seller told me that it had a wheel out of balance and vibrated between 40-60 mph. Sure enough, when we got up to speed it started shaking really BAD! My thought was that it was a universal joint(u-joint) in the drive line was loose as I could feel the vibration in the middle of the car, in the shift knob and the mirror was out of focus. I did not think it could be serious so I bought the car. I don't know how the seller could stand to drive from Spanaway to my home. After it was home, I could hardly stand to get it up to highway speeds. I checked it out as soon as I got it home. The u-joints did not seem to be bad. The back one was tight and the front one did not seem to be that loose. I started second guessing myself that it was something worse.
 
Finally today, I backed the Mustang up on the ramps, crawled underneath and checked the u-joints thoroughly. Yes, the rear one did not have any slop in it. But, the front one had some play in the bearings. I remembered from before with the Bronco, I had a u-joint that not seem bad but when I changed it, my problem went away.
 
So, this afternoon I went to the parts store and bought a new u-joint. Removal of the drive shaft, changing the u-joint and reinstalling the drive shaft went quick. I am not used to a slip yoke drive shaft, four bolts on the differential flange and the drive shaft yoke slips right out of the transmission unlike my four wheel drive vehicles that are bolted on each end.
 
I went for a drive up Highway 3 and sure enough, the worst of the vibration is gone. There is still some vibrations and noises, but after 30 miles, I feel I can drive this car longer distances now.
 
So, I knocked two items off the "to do" list. The u-joint was one and while I was at the parts store, I also bought a oil filler cap. Whats next? Other than on going cosmetic work, I want to get a new heater temperature control. Right now the existing control is stuck on full cabin heat. As the days warm, this is becoming annoying.
 
 Even with the rear wheels up on ramps, it is a tight fit to get under this car.
 The drive shaft removed from the car. The universal joints are on each end of the drive shaft. They allow for misalignment of the drive train components as the suspension flexes.
Pressing the new universal joint into the yoke. I have never used a press like this before. I bought the tool to change the front ball joints on the Bronco and after I got it home realized that it will work for u-joints too. This made life easy!

No comments: