Sunday, May 4, 2014

The Healing Grind Continues

I have finally reached a milestone in my recovery from a broken hip. On Friday, a friend drove me to the Bellevue Medical Center for an appointment with the surgeon. Since we were nervous about the traffic backup through Renton, we left the house early. We got to the medical center nearly an hour early. I thought we would probably have to wait, but in a couple of minutes, I was called to xray. And a few minutes after xray, I was called to an examining room. The doctor showed up about 15 minutes later. We actually were done and left at about the time that my appointment was scheduled for.

When the doctor arrived, he pulled the xray up on the computer screen and told me that the healing of the break was "concerning" to him. He proceeded to tell and show me what he was concerned about. First, the xrays showed that the screws were loose. They did not back out, but he explained that the bone at the break had shrunk or compressed. This pushed the screw heads away from the bone. I had thought I had been feeling this earlier in the week when I was doing my exercises. I was feeling a sharp pain in the side of my thigh just below the incision.The PT person could not feel anything. The surgeon went on to explain that I could have irritation from the screws, but he would not remove them for at least 6 to 12 months.

Second, the surgeon went on to explain that since the bone had compressed, now my right leg is shorter. Great! He could not offer an explanation why the bone was missing. He was concerned about how well it had knitted together or not. I ask if this was a sign of the bone dying because of inadequate blood flow. He said that the image from the xray appeared that the density looked good an he did not think that necrosis was occurring. We talked some about bionic joints, but settled on another xray in four weeks followed by a phonecon. 

Third, the surgeon wants me to add weight bearing to the leg. For the next two weeks, he wants me to put 50% of the normal load and after that what I can tolerate. I also ask if I could drive now. He said yes! FREEDOM!

This visit left me worried. I envision perfection a lot and I envisioned that the break would cleanly heal. Instead I have a bone fracture that collapsed and left me with a shorter leg. I can't really feel any length difference and I have not noticed any pain with putting weight on that leg. But it definitely feels strange with my foot flat on the ground for the first time in over 7 weeks. I still will be using the crutches for the foreseeable future. The doctor also surprised me by telling me not to go to PT at the clinic until after we get the next xray. The home health PT person was discontinuing their services because I would be mobile enough to go to the clinic. Almost appears like he is expecting to replace the joint.

So I feel my future is sorta grim. If the doctor does not like the next xray, he may call for a bionic joint. That would probably not be as bad as what I have gone through already, but it will take up more time. Even if the current repair works, I am still going to be unable to do much for probably most of the summer. I was suppose to crew on a boat in July at Whidbey Island Race Week. That is in jeopardy as I don't think I will be healed enough to go. Another friend wants to go to Bonneville Speed week in August. I may be able to do that as that is just a bunch of standing and walking. I don't know if or when I will be able to ride a bicycle. With unequal leg lengths, it makes the fit of the bicycle wrong. I don't know if I can hike in the mountains or ski in the winter. Even mundane stuff like mowing my yard is not getting done. It is getting long and I guess I need to hire someone. 

The grind continues.

The xray showing the screws and uneven leg lengths.


No comments: