Wednesday, January 14, 2015

The Pony Car Project- Old Is New Again.

It has been a long time since I posted anything about new work being performed on the Pony car. After my accident last March, it was difficult to do much and work on the Pony car ceased until I was able to be more mobile. 

My Pony car is a 1990 Mustang GT. From 1987-1993, the GT models used a taillight with painted "louvers" and strips of visible lens. Amongst Mustang people, this style was often referred to as the "cheese grater". If someone wanted to be original, this was the taillight to have. The "cheese grater" style was not real popular and now replacement parts are very hard to find. Many changed their taillights to the taillights from the Mustang LX model. This was a much simpler looking taillight.



 These aftermarket taillights are often referred to as"Euro" style. They are round lenses with chromed sculpted bezels covered with a clear cover. This style can be seen as OEM taillights on a lot of newer cars now. One of the previous owners changed the taillights to these aftermarket lights. At first I thought I would like them, but they got old after a while. Also, one lens cover came loose and I needed to glue it back on. Plus, they did not fit on the car real good and there were gaps between them and the body sheetmetal.


  I found these taillights on Ebay and after negotiating with the seller I got a good deal. They were shipped from his business in Ohio last week.These new/old taillights are from a 1986 GT. The Mustang LX taillights are similar except the amber lens section was clear in 1987-1993. I like this look. Furthermore, this style of lens was brought back in 1993 and used on the Mustang Cobra and Cobra-R models. The only difference in 1993 was the addition of a couple of horizontal thin black stripes in each lens section. I can buy those lenses if I want this car to look more like a !993 Cobra.  I would suppose that some people could be critical that I am not maintaining the stock nature of my Mustang. That is not my goal as this car has been far from stock for a long time! 


And everything lights up! There seems to be more light emitted then the old "Euro" style taillights.

No comments: