Monday, April 4, 2011

The Great Bronco Engine Transplant- Fabrication, Assembly and Disassembly

After the engine was installed, the real work started in earnest. Now was the time to fit up all the systems needed to operate the vehicle once the engine is started. I finalized the wiring harness and soldered the joints together and bundled it neatly. I had several interferences to resolve as well as fabricate brackets and plates to mount new components. I had to modify the power steering pump bracket to accept the Bronco power steering pump. This part has been fun as now I can implement all the plans I have made. It has also been tiring as I have been working 6 to 8 hours a day. This is the heater plenum that mounts on the passenger side firewall. I had to cut a corner out to clear the valve cover. This is a known problem on 302/Bronco II conversions. I found a heavy plastic rectangular water bottle that I cut up to patch the hole.
The oil filter won't fit if it is left installed on the engine, so I needed to install a remote oil filter kit. This mounts on the radiator support. I had to fabricate the bracket to mount it with.
Another view of the remote oil filter.
I had to modify the throttle cable bracket to accept the Bronco II throttle and cruise control cables.

I built a plate to mount the new shifter. It needed to cover the hole in the floor and I added a stiffener on the underside.


Here is the new shifter installed in the Bronco. I completely hooked it up to the transmission and tested it before I took it out again.

This is how the valve cover clears the heater plenum now. The transmission dipstick tube clears everything too.

And here is the engine coming back out again. It gets easier every time I do this. I removed it so that I could finish work on the engine and to clear the interferences that I learned about when we put the engine in. I also installed the oil pan with gasket for the final time and have scheduled some time to touch up the paint

This is one of the interferences. The motor mount hits the front tube of the header. I have called the manufacture twice and emailed him pictures. He agrees there is something wrong, but has not offered a fix yet. He was suppose to look at a 302/Bronco II conversion and get back to me on Friday. Here it is on Monday and no word back from him yet. I will probably call him early tomorrow. He is starting to hold my progress. I am ready to put the engine back in and start hooking things up.


I had to replace the brakes on my F150 truck Sunday, so when I was at the parts store, I also bought the hose adapters I need to hook up the transmission cooling lines to the radiator. After the latest order from Summit Racing arrives tomorrow, about the only major things lacking will be the radiator hoses. I should be able to get them locally. My special synthetic transmission fluid should be here by the end of the week. I could have this engine installed, hooked up and running in just a few days if the header/motor mount interference gets resolved.

No comments: