Monday, April 4, 2011

Taking A Day Off To Go To The Beach

Some people think it is silly that I should want a day off. After all they say:"everyday is a day off" since I am retired. Well, I have been very busy and have put off going places or doing "fun" stuff. I have been working long hours on my car project(The Great Bronco Engine Transplant), working some on the yard and even helping others with some of their boat issues. There is nothing wrong with any of those items, but I wanted to get away if even for a day. So when I told my mom that I needed a day off, she agreed immediately.

So today I drove the truck to the ocean and walked on the beach. The truck was full of gas and I replaced the brake pads yesterday, so it was ready. I left early in the morning headed for Westport. I stopped at Aberdeen for breakfast and still arrived at Westport by 0900. I did not do much there. I walked the path down the beach, watched the fisherman unload their catch, walked the main street(almost all the stores were closed) and ate a great lunch of Fish and Chips at "Bennett's Fish Shack"("we are open seven days a week").

I started home by 1230. I took a different way home. I took some back roads from Cosmopolis to Montesano and then took a side trip to the site of the Satsop Nuclear Power Plant. It was never finished or operated and now the site is an Industrial Park. The cooling towers and reactor containment structures are still standing, but falling into disrepair. From Satsop, I headed into the hills to the north and drove the back way through Matlock passed the penitentiary to Highway 101 and from there through more back roads to the south shore of Hood Canal near Alderbrook.

It was nice to get away today. Oh did I tell you that it rained hard all day? Did not dampen my spirits!
The old lighthouse at Wesport. Still operates and is the tallest in Washington State. Downtown Westport.
The Pacific Ocean.
Trying to not get sunburned.


The walkway along the shoe.
Fisherman unloading crab.
Yum! Fish and Chips at "Bennett's Fish Shack".
One of the cooling towers at the site of the Satsop Nuclear Power Plant.

No comments: