Monday, October 15, 2012

How Much Do I Blog?

This post is another in a series of post where I comment on the dynamics of my blog. This blog deals with the statistics of my blog, how often do I post and how long have I been been blogging.

The previous post in this series asked a very fundamental question,Why Do I Blog?,  where I examined my reasons for blogging. Some people may find some valuable insight into some of my thought processes by rereading this post. In a previous post, Who Reads Your Blog?, I discussed how I could obtain statistics on how many people were reading my blog and where in the world the readers are from. In another previous post, Where Do You Blog? , I provided any potential reader with insight into my home office.

My first blogging post was Aug 12, 2008. This post is my 310 th post. That is roughly an average of 73 posts a year. My highest full year of posts was 2009 where I posted 98 posts and my least full year of posts was 2011 when I posted 61 posts. This year I have only posted 42 posts, so this year is on track for the least amount of posts in a year. I don't know if these statistics qualify me as an experianced blogger or not.

Obviously, I have not been blogging a long time and recently someone was advising me on blogging commented on their blogging experience. A lot of people started blogging before me, but it wasn't long before their quantities of posts fell off until it is only a few posts a year (or less) after they seem to tire of the process. Another friend of mine has been consitent and writes a few times a week, but mainly his posts consists of photos. One guy I follow that says that his blog is a "superblog" has not been seen in six months. A lot of this is understandable with the other social media sites like Facebook getting more attention. I understand that. After spending hours writing my detailed race report posts, I get lazy with other reports and just post a bunch of pictures and a short description on Facebook and call it done! Even so, my posts have been fairly consistent and my blog has not fallen off dramatically since I started blogging, I may blog once a week or more. 

So sometimes I wonder if all the time spent writing 310 posts is worth it. As I have mentioned before in Why Do I Blog?, my blog is somewhat like a journal to remind myself of activities. Some people have been supportive of what I write and have quoted me elsewhere and some people have been very critical of what I write. Interesting! I really don't think that many people read it anyway.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I read it! :)

Dan said...

I know you do!

And as we know, a few others also read it occasionally and take offense to what I write.:-)