Monday, February 16, 2009

Boat Delivery to Olympia

Where our tax dollars are spent!



Percival Landing, Olympia Washington

In preparation for the Toliva Shoal Race on Saturday, I started delivering the boat south on Thursday. It is about 56 nautical miles from Brownsville to Olympia, not a long distance for a one day delivery. But, the currents in the Narrows and the south sound would be adverse for most of the day. My thoughts were to go to Gig Harbor which is about halfway to Olympia and just before the Narrows.

I got underway around 0930. I expected to top off the fuel tank at the marina before I left. They were leak testing the system and it would be down for 45 minutes. No problem, I could pick up fuel at Gig Harbor.

I motored 4 hours to Gig Harbor. It was a clear cool day. But alas, there is no longer a fuel dock in Gig Harbor, so I called ahead and found a place closer to Olympia to buy fuel. I wandered around town some and bought a couple of books at the used book store.

I was under way at 0550 and had about 2 hours of flood that carried me past Balch Pass and McNeil island before it started ebbinging. I bought fuel at Boston Harbor about 4 miles from Olympia. I arrived early at Olympia at about 1040. I played tourist and walked up to the Capitol building. It was a nice clear day again and by mid afternoon boats started arriving. Not as many boats showed up as has been seen in previous years.

Olympia yacht club sponsored a great prime rib dinner for the race contestants.

No comments: