Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Boat Maintenance and Other Stuff

Oh The Joy Of Boat Ownership!
Look Ma, No Hands!


Some of you have owned boats, so you know how much work goes on keeping ahead of maintenance issues. And then there is always some mod that needs to be done.


This week I have finally got out of my funk and started doing some work on the boat. I was also sick for last week and the weather was cold and ........ I have all sorts of excuses. So this week I started a small project.


I bought new LED running lights a couple of years ago and did replace the bow combo light. Monday I rode the motorcycle down to the boat and put two new bolts(with self-locking nuts) in the bow light. Afterwards I rode to Port Gamble and back. Yesterday I rode one of the bicycles down to the boat with all the tools I needed(drill, bits, wrench). My goal was to install a new stern light. I had to drill new mounting holes in the stainless steel mounting plate while squeezed thru the upper and lower tubes of the stern rail.. That was the hardest part. Bolting it up and hooking up the wires was easy. Only lost one self-locking nut and a small screwdriver over the side. Next I have a multi-position nav light switch to install. Doing electrical work on these boats is easy and fun!


Today, no work on the boat, but did go for a long bicycle ride. The weather this week has been spectacular.


Since I only live 5 miles from the boat, part of my plan was to outfit my ex-commuter bicycle with small panniers so that I can use it for running errands and taking tools and small stuff to the boat. I have actually used it to buy groceries at Fred Meyer's. Tommorow, I am planning to take this bike to Seattle and ride to Fisheries Supply. I need to buy some hi-tech rope to splice a new halyard and some controls lines. Saves the gas, ferry fare and gives me some excercise as well.


Next Saturday we are racing out of Olympia for the Toliva shoals race. I have not decided if I will leave on Thursday or Friday. The currents in the Tacoma Narrows are not very good for making it in one day. If I go on Thursday, I will stop in Gig Harbor for that night and get to Olympia early on Friday. I need to get busy on more boat maintenance and prep!


Ordered a couple of new sails, but they will not be ready until late February.


Need to ensure that the boat is in good shape for some cruising too. For some time I have been planning a cruise to Friday Harbor and the San Juan Islands for late this winter or early spring. That is something I have always wanted to do and is on my list of things to do when retired.


On the retirement issue: I recieved my first interim annuity check on time and directly to my checking account. The system is working! The amount was quite small though. It was suppose to be 75-80% of my anticipated pay, but was only about 60%. Good thing my income tax refund should be here in a couple of days.


1 comment:

B.J. Porter said...

Nice picture, boat looks good.