Wednesday, February 11, 2009

It Is Still Winter


Yard covered in snow, but not enough to ski!


Yesterday another snow storm blew thru. It snowed most of the day untill after dark, quite heavy at times. Accumulation was only about 2 inches, more west out by Hood Canal. I was working on the boat during the worst of it and got soaked. This morning the sun came out and most of the snow has melted.

Tommorow I am underway early with the boat. I need to top off the fuel tank and then get underway by 0930. Probably motor to Gig Harbor(4 hours) where I will spend the night. I have not been to Gig Harbor in a while and am looking forward to exploring some. Need to go to the used book store and Kelly's novelty if it still exists.

Friday, I plan on getting underway by 0600 and ride the flood through the Narrows. Should get to Olympia by 1100. May wander up to the State Capital to see my tax dollars at work!

Sounds like the winds are suppose to be light through the weekend. Typical Toliva Shoal race! And to make it better, there is still a chance of snow for the next three days.

5 comments:

Scott said...

We had winds that would snap a mast the other night. Many awnings in peril. Kelly's changed hands and is not the place you remember (if it even still exists). The Tides is still there though!

Anonymous said...

Try not to stay to long at the capitol building, it will just bring tears to your eyes watching the dollars drift away.

Dan said...

Scott
I guess I have been at Kelly's since it changed. More of a snack bar/deli now? I had breakfast there a few years ago when I was coming back from this same race.

Anonymous
If you have never been there, it is an impressive structure. And watching the proceedings on the floor can be interesting. As a federal employee for 31 years(and worked on government contracts for several years at Boeing) I can appreciate some government spending. Even state employees and teachers need to be paid. Right?

gerrycammy said...

Sadly, I'll be missing this race... we're taking both kids and heading to Florida this weekend, to visit my folks. 8 hours of flying with a toddler and an infant... what doesn't kill us, makes us stronger, right?

I know Carpe Diem is going. Tantalus has talked about it if he could muster crew, but I haven't heard anything.

Nice plan by the way... you really are the current master, aren't you?

Dan said...

Gerry
Have a nice time in Florida. I wimpered and whined when I flew and the people that I travelled with probably think I am like travelling withe a child! :-)

Not current master, just lots of time to make it an enjoyable trip.

Im a couple months, I will probably pull off another San Juan Island cruise.