Saturday, April 4, 2009

Singlehanded Race-Port Orchard

I was underway at 0720 from Brownsville to motor to Port Orchard. Foggy and cold(36 degrees) when I left Brownsville. This only lasted for a few miles.


The winds were light today, but once the fog burned off, the sun came out and it actually was warm. I wore a tee shirt without a jacket most of the day.
There were only five boats racing today. The rules were: only one person on board, no spinnakers, no autopilots. I had a great start and opened up a good lead. The race commitee had set a multiple lap course of about 9 miles, but had to shorten the race at the leeward mark on the first lap after only 4 miles. Even then, I finished only 2 minutes before the 3 hour time limit expired. I led all the way to the finish, but unfortunatly the wind filled in from behind and "Carpe Diem" closed up enough to correct on me and was first. I was second.

Got a little cold on the motor home, but was still nice sitting out in the sun.

Log: 22 miles

3 comments:

The O'Sheas said...

I saw this one on the calendar and was wondering if you'd participate. We had a similarly sunny day down here in Portland, sailing in shirtsleeves, but we had hella wind all day. Blowing a steady 10+ kts at all times and gusting even better. Perfect conditions!

Congrats on the top two finish.

gerrycammy said...

Carpe Diem managed to avoid frieghters and running aground to beat you, eh?

Dan said...

It was not a day to be in the lead, when the wind dies and then fills in from behind.:-( Rob sailed a good race!