Monday, February 1, 2010

The Boat Show

For weeks the TV ads have played the same jingle over and over:

The Boat Show!
The Boat Show!
The Big Seattle Boat Show!

This is the same jingle that has been used as long as I can remeber. As a kid we used to go to the boat show in the Coliseum. Then it moved to the Kingdome(anyone remember it?) and now the boat show is at the Qwest Field Event Center. There is also an in-the-water show at Lake Union.

So am I buying a new boat? No. I mainly go to the show to look at gear and equipment, pick up new catalogs and also look at boats. This year I only went to the Qwest Field Event Center site and did not take the shuttle to Lake Union. It was still good to look at the "stuff" and talk to differant vendors, some that I know. I came home with a bag full of brochures and catalogs(most that will be discarded) and a head full of new ideas.

And what good is a trip to Seattle without stopping at Ivars for fish and chips on the way to the ferry? Unfortunatly a seagull snatched one of my pieces of fish as I walked out to eat on the pier!

All kinds of boats!

The best fish and chips in the northwest are sold here!

3 comments:

laurie said...

Dan-
Going to the boat show- always fun, but potentially expensive! :-) Joey is going today. Don't know if he'll buy much or just browse and get ideas.
Laurie Payne

Dave and Ava said...

Back in the day, the place nearby that did alder smoked fish was more tasty for my culinary-trained buds. And they had fries that were in wedges, rather than once-deeped fried at Ivar's. I interviewed Ivar Haglund many time back in the 80's before he passed. What a character!

On the bright side, a seagull snatch and go is better than extra seagull tartar sauce! ;-)

Dan said...

Back when I was young(er), and I was still living at home, we had salmon almost everyday in all forms of preparation. It was a treat to have fish and chips of deep fried cod then as it is know. I really regret that I missed trying the fish and chips when I passed through England a few years ago. I did not think I would have enough time before my flight and on the return trip it was brekfast time and nobody was serving fish and chips.

The salmon place is up the waterfront a few piers and still has the alder smoked salmon.