Friday, February 5, 2010

Toys-Part 1

This may not look like much, some pieces of plastic, metal, clamps and screws. But, this is the "comfort kit" for my motorcycles. The Buell XB models(they are air cooled) develop a lot of heat on the right side from the rear exhaust pipe and also from the engine cooling air. Buell developed a retrofit kit that includes a right side air scoop(there is already one on the left side), a metal guard for the exhaust pipe and a new air duct that redirects the engine cooling air from the fan down and out the back of the motorcycle.

So far, I have the scoop and exhaust pipe guard installed. The air duct is more complicated to install as you have to remove the battery, ECM(electronic control module), fuse block and battery pan to get to the area that is modified.

I am looking forward to getting this finished. Last summer in Eastern Washington, my right leg was always painfully hot, even through the leathers. Sportster riders say that they have a similar problem, but I somehow don't think they sit on top of the engine like I do.

This is one of the last upgrades that I can do to make the motorcycle like a 2010. I have heard about a rearwheel/wheel bearing upgrade, but doubt if I will pursue that.

So will this make my 2009 Buell XB12X Ulysses worth less now that it resembles a 2010 and the bikes are no longer built? I don't care, it should be more comfortable. That is all that matters to me.

No comments: