Friday, February 19, 2010

Mt Ranier cross country ski trip 2-19-2010

Today I made a return to Paradise on Mt Ranier for some more cross country skiing. This was my first midweek trip and it was interesting to still see a lot of people on the mountain. Don't these people have jobs? I think some schools are out for a mid winter break too as there was a lot of kids around.

Today was spectacular. The temp was around freezing when I arrived and quite windy, but warmed up some through the day. The snow was very icy when I started toward Reflection Lakes. I don't think that I have glided so far down Paradise Valley before. Actually was too fast for me at times. Because of the lack of new snow and the warming and refreezing, the ski tracks more resembled truck ruts.

I skied past Reflection Lakes to the top of Stevens Canyon and returned. The total distance was 7.27 miles(measured by GPS). The return up Paradise Valley was helped by the heat, the snow was a lot softer. If it had not warmed up, the ice would have been difficult to ascend.

If any of you remember a few weeks ago, I posted how the boots hurt my toes. This time I was a lot more comfortable. I found that I had to cinch the laces on the inner liner and the buckles on the outer shell really tight to keep my feet pushed back in the boot and the heel in the pocket at the back of the boot.

Maybe before the snow is gone, the road to Hurricane Ridge will be repaired and I can go skiing there at least once this year.


Mt Ranier from paradise Valley.
The ski tracks that resembled truck tire ruts. Really, no vehicles come out here! Skis and snowshoes made these ruts.

Looking across Stevens Canyon toward eastern Washington.

Mt Ranier from Reflection Lake.

Strange snow pattern in Paradise Valley.

Lower Christine Falls on the drive home.

Upper Christine Falls on the drive home.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good that your getting out and enjoying the snow before it is gone. With the current weather it doesn't appear that it will build up much more and by mid April might be just a memory.