Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Cushman Trail From Gig Harbor To Point Defiance Park

Today, after the freezing fog thawed out, the day was sunny and nice. I heard about a group riding the Cushman Trail from Gig Harbor across the Narrows Bridge to Pt Defiance Park and return. Today seemed like a good day, since rain is predicted.

I drove to the Wollochet Drive exit and parked in the Kimmel Dr park and ride. I am not sure if it was legal to park there, but I did anyway. The trail starts right at the park and ride. The trail was originally a utilities service road that has been paved. It is quite ride, but like a lot of non-motorized use trails, people, bikes, skateboards and pets are all over the trail. This trail provides an easy five mile way to the Narrows Bridge and its non-motorized use lane.

This was the first time I have ridden across the bridge, I walked across it a couple of years ago. After crossing the bridge, I continued north to Point Defiance Park and rode the five mile loop road, returned to the Narrows Bridge and followed the Cushman Trail back to the truck. The total distance was 22 miles, less than the 30 miles I expected.

I may use this trail for future excursions to the Tacoma area. I was happy to see the Bike Lanes on the Tacoma streets, something we rarely see in Kitsap County. Using much of this route, it would be easy to access Ruston Way and the Downtown area. And heading south after crossing the bridge, I could catch the ferry to Anderson Island, another place I have never visited.


 Approaching the Narrows Bridge heading south.
 The lane provided on the bridge is quite wide and is made to accommodate bikes and pedestrians for travel in both directions.

 The view from the park was spectacular today.
 Approaching the Narrows Bridge from the Tacoma side.
See the lower sign? It indicates that all pets must be on leash! This was at the entrance of the Cushman Trail. While I was riding the Cushman Trail, I came upon a bicycle rider that had their dog running with them. The rider was all over the trail, so I slowed and hailed the rider("on your left") as I started passing. Just as I cleared the rider, the dog ran in front of me. I am sure that I did not use the appropriate avoidance techniques that the Bicycle Safety Course teaches, but I did avoid the dog. A crash with the dog could have hurt, I have had previous experience with this. This is why I am not a huge fan of multi-use trail systems, they are so "undisciplined".

No comments: