Friday, February 3, 2012

Snowmageddon 2012

This is old news. The Pacific Northwest had a snow storm the third week of January. For at least a week, the weather forecasters predicted a massive snowfall. It started in some areas, like Seattle on the weekend, but did not start snowing here until early Tuesday morning. It snowed about four inches at my house. Other areas of Puget Sound had more snow, mainly south of Tacoma.

I ventured out with the Bronco and found that it really was not bad. I had no problem with traction in four wheel drive. Toward afternoon, I got out the skinny skis and skied down to Illahee State Park. There really was not enough snow.

A ice storm was predicted for Wednesday, but again it really never materialized where I live. But I did have another 1-1/2 inches of snow and again I went driving and had no problem getting around. Friday, the melt started and by Saturday afternoon, the roads were clear of snow. I skied again and this time the snow was a little better.

Being a bit cynical, I really did not think this was much of a storm. The people that got hit the worst were the people to the south that did get hit with the ice storm. This left a lot of people without power for as much as a week.

Now I can comment with the "I remember when". But I do remember massive snowfalls like 1996 when I had 28 inches of snow in two days. I actually felt trapped in the house. I could not get the car DOWN my steep driveway and if I could, the roads were not plowed. Then when the rains started, the saturated snow collapsed buildings. And 1990 when strong north winds brought about 12 inches of snow and sub freezing temperature. My parents were out of power for a week and were cold!  I could go on, but I won't. This little snowfall closed schools, the Shipyard and had the media telling people all day that we were paralyzed. Hmm!

 My cat seemed to like the snow as much as I do.
 Port of Brownsville had a few inches of snow.
 Want to go sailing?

No comments: