Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Ski Trip To Hurricane Ridge

With the nice weather we have been experiencing, Monday was a nice day to head to the mountains. I drove up to Hurricane Ridge early in the morning. It was interesting that it was actually warmer at the lodge than it was in Port Angeles, and the sky was clear.

There has not been a lot of recent snow, so even though there was a lot of accumulation of snow on the ground, it was very icy. I skied out the road toward Hurricane Hill and went over the small hill at the end of the road. After descending the far side, I determined that it was two icy to continue. So I returned across the side hill called "Steep and Icy". That was not the smartest thing to do as it was indeed VERY ICY. I had a hard time keeping the edges cutting into the slope. I returned to the lodge, ate lunch and returned home early. It was a nice day to be in the mountains and the first day this year of skiing, if you don't count the two days of skiing that I did during our small snowfall a couple weeks ago.

 Hurricane Hill
 This is where I turned around, the snow was extremely icy here.

Looking toward Victoria and the Strait of Juan de Fuca.
 From the lodge, the view of the mountains was great.
This information sign is usually totally buried in snow.

No comments: