Wednesday, September 11, 2013

The Pony Car Project-More Bling

This month, Late Model Restoration was advertising a sale on interior items. For some time I had a hatch carpet and floor mats on my "wish list". The sale prices on these items was good, so I could not resist and I ordered them.
 
They arrived today, a day late from what the original tracking information said would be the delivery date. As soon as they arrived I removed the old hatch carpet and installed the new carpet and floor mats. I elected to spend a bit extra and get the carpets and mats with the embroidered mustang logos. I SMUGLY think that these logos add to the vehicle even though they could be considered "bling"
 
Something else that came with this order is a new speedometer cable gear. Since someone messed with the gearing and wheel size of this vehicle, the speedometer reads much faster then the actual speed. Not a big problem because I am probably driving slower then the legal speed most of the time. But I did the appropriate calculations and ordered a new gear that should get the indicated speed closer to the actual speed. It is too hot to crawl under the car and fix this today!

 

Here is the new hatch carpet and front seat floor mats. There is also a set of rear seat floormats, but they are just simple black carpet squares, no logos. 
 The traditional running horse/tricolor bar Mustang logo embroidered into the carpet material.
The hatch area looks a lot better with the matching color carpet. It may take some time for it to lay down smooth.
 This is the removed, disgusting, grey oil soaked hatch carpet. It might have been the source of some odor too!
While I was at it, I found a hatch trim panel on Ebay to close up the large opening in the underside of the hatch. These seem hard to find with wildly varying prices. I found this black one in South Carolina for a good price with free shipping. It is in good condition and does not require paint or touch up. This fixes what appears to be another one of the "when we took the car apart and put it back together, this part was missing so we left it out" issues.


No comments: