Thursday, December 18, 2008

Snowy weather has arrived!

I have been following other blogs. One is written by a Shipyard retiree living in his RV near Pheonix Arizona. He was commenting a couple days ago about rain keeping him inside. I understand it could be agravating living in an area of sun and warmth and having the weather be less than sunny and warm.

Well, it could be worse!

This is this afternoon at my home in East Bremerton. It finally started snowing this morning about the time I got up at 0430. When I left to go to work, there was about 1/2 to 3/4 inch. I know, not much. The Seattle area was hit a lot harder. The snow picked up mid day and by the time I got home at 1500, it was about 3-1/2 inches. Again, probably not much, but with the hills in this area, the driving was interesting. The temp is 26, and expected to get colder tonight. More snow is predicted for this weekend and not suppose to get above freezing again until Dec 24th.

Although I don't have pics, I got out my old X-country skis and carved some tracks in my yard and a 1/4 mile down the road to the mail box. I enjoy the snow, so skiing in my yard was fun!
Something the retirees might like, the Shipyard sent everyone home two hours early. How many times has that happened? That is fine if you work a normal shift, but since I start at 0530, going home at 1402 is pretty normal for me! I told the boss I was leaving 20 minute early to beat the rush.

So enjoy your warm , sunny weather if you have it! :-)

4 comments:

Paige and Dave said...

Can't be many more days of telling the boss anything. Hope your transition to retiree goes as smoothly as it did for me. The rain here in AZ has been an inconvenience and anyone stuck and suffering the weather across the north has my sympathy. I really enjoy your sailboat racing accounts. Dave

Dan said...

Wow! It is down to four more days!
Tomorrow is supose to be the Liars and Braggers lunchtime going away social with cake. That is unless the person responsible for the cake can't make it in again or the shipyard closes. Allmost all the check out items are signed. Dispensary tomorrow and tool room, pass and ID before the 24th. Finished my last drawing today.

Scott said...

I can't believe you were still working on a drawing. I started 3 day weeks with about four months to go and was totally useless around the office (even more so when close to retiring). They were glad to see me go.

Dan said...

My TWGL said that he was going to keep me busy until the end. And I do feel responsible for some outstanding work. And I have stayed busy, real busy. Though I do hope that I will be able to avoid answering a messy LAR that I have an advance copy of. There is a lot of work I have from three shipchecks all the way back to August that has not been started. Oh well, it all has to end sometime! My branch manager used to tell me that "there is no good time to take leave". Now I can tell him that there "is a good time to retire, my time".