Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Retirement.

As of December 23rd, I am retired from federal service. Well, actually the paper will not be processed until Jan 02, 2009, but I have checked out from the Shipyard and turned in my badge. I am on leave thru the rest of the year. I was actually planning on checking out today, but I got nervous with the predicted snow and was concerned that if the Shipyard curtailled operations again, it could make things difficult. I was not the only one. The admin folks recommended getting out while I could and there was a lot of people leaving yesterday. At 1300 I was the eleventh person thru pass and ID and there was many behind me.

So now, I start a new phase of my life. When I left yesterday, I did not look back. This morning I woke up at 0430 and had trouble getting back to sleep. This is all going to take some time to get used to!

Merry Christmas to all!!

4 comments:

Scott said...

I still wake up early and force myself to lay in bed until six. What are you going to say when the contractors call and ask you to work? I said "No" three times and then they quit calling.

Dan said...

My plan is to not work for a minimum of a year. I will tell them no if they call. If I do decide that I "want" to work again, I will explore what is out there. I really do not want to go back to work for the same people that I left.

I heard that Downey wants the names of all the retirees. Al S. said that he is suppose to supply the names. I told him no. Bob B. said that they have finally stopped calling him. Glen R. and Musty retired and then went back to work for the contractor.

I was already getting up at six on the weekends and days off. That seems like sleeping in to me!

Paige and Dave said...

You guys must have played too well with others. I never got a call, which worked well as I am not sure I could be polite. Canceling my phone and leaving town may have helped but I'll never know. Really looking forward to reading more of your adventures Dan. Dave

gerrycammy said...

Congrats Dan! I'll join you in another 30 years or so.