Thursday, March 26, 2009

Road Trip to Port Townsend

I went on a road trip today to Port Townsend. I thought about taking the motorcycle, but it was a bit frosty this morning, so I drove the pickup.

It actually turned out to be a warm day. I drove the back way through Port Ludlow and Hadlock. I stopped at Old Fort Townsend State Park where this old building was located. I have seen this before and have always had questions about the placard.


This placard mentions a high power x-ray machine. Must have been way before my time(and everyone elses), because nobody where I worked had heard of this machine being used for propeller shaft inspections.
I drove on to Fort Worden State Park. The Straits of Juan de Fuca were very calm. Wished I could have been on the boat crossing today. Maybe in a couple of weeks I will take a short cruise to the San Juan Islands.


This is one of the old gun emplacements at Fort Worden. They date from the late 1800's, early 1900's when the thinking was that three forts(Worden, Casey and Flagler) positioned at this entrance to Admiralty Inlet would sink any enemy ships trying to enter Admiralty Inlet and Puget Sound. When military aircraft were put into service, these forts soon became obsolete. For trivia addicts, this is where the movie "An Officer and a Gentleman" was filmed.


My main reason for going to Port Townsend was to go to the used book store downtown. I am looking for books from a specific NW author. Alas, the book store did not have any books that I was interested in. Took side trips to Point Hudson Marina and the Boat Haven Boat Yards.


10 comments:

Scott said...

Hey Dan - they've got this outfit called Amazon that can find old books for you.

Dan said...

I know about Amazon, I have one book ordered from them. There is also something called Ebay. I have two books ordered from them. That pretty much exhausted the sources. Hey, it was a nice day for a drive anyway!

Anonymous said...

Powell's in Portland has a good collection as well. They are connected with a good number of used book stores around the country.

www.powells.com

If you have the opportunity to visit the store is actually several, encompassing several blocks.

Anonymous said...

Don't send all you money, you might have to give a whole bunch back. Any 1-1/2 overtime money earned overseas may be coming back to the Feds. Overtime should have been no more then 10 step 1. call Larry M. to fill you in.

Dan said...

Well, that will sure be an incentive for people to go overseas!

Dan said...

Thanks to whoever suggested Powells. They had several of the books that I am looking for by the NW author. They are on their way and should be here early next week.

Dave and Ava said...

Dan,
Save yourself the road trip and try eBay!
All those people that knew about the x-ray machine are probably long dead from cancer!
If I get lonesome for the northwest(away for 17 years now)and that area, I just pop in "An Officer and a Gentleman," and look at the gray skies. Calming... but then I remember some of our sailboat trips together and what stupid stuff I did when I couldn't swim a stroke! I get a stroke just thinking about it! But you were always the consummate safety guy and "most" times I had on a life vest!
That bosun's chair shot from the top of the mast is still a favorite memory, as well as the KSTW(whats that smell?) 10 O'Clock news credits I shot on 16mm film back in probably 1981. It was before my Emmy at Channel 11, so may be 1980. Put a non-swimmer in a bosun's chair and send him up the mast and then send him out in a dinghy alone... Priceless!!!!!!
Keep up the blog. You need more food shots!
Best,
Dave and Ava in NYC.

Dan said...

Dave
Email me. I lost youe address. Had you heard that LeWayne H died?

gerrycammy said...

I don't know. There's something romantic about finding a book in a used book store. I have to browse, it's pretty rare that I know what I want, especially with used books.

Powell's is worth a trip to portland in itself. 4 floors of books, floor to ceiling.

Good luck tomorrow, looks like the winds with be light (calm to 5kts) our of the NW, and sunny. :)

Dan said...

Gerry
I agree, used bookstores are a great place to browse. The one in PT is pretty good, I have been there a number of times. One of the reasons I like stopping at PT on the boat.

The one in Gig harbor is amazing. It is small, but packed from floor to ceiling with books and he has storerooms outback.

Powells looks interesting and is probably worthy of a stop if I take a road trip that direction.