Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Time for a new racing bouy.

Today I helped set a new racing bouy in Sinclair Inlet. Two clubs use and maintain two bouys that are set permenatly. Problem with one is that it was set too close to a lane used by commercial tugs and barges that anchor farther up the inlet. We think that they run over the bouys. This is the third bouy set in this location since 2001. For thirty years we used to use the Navy mooring bouys, but after 9/11, those areas are off limits. The new bouy is set closer to the south shore on Sinclair Inlet and hopefully will be less likely to be run over.

The Port of Bremerton graciously provide one of their boats and operator to carry the bouy, chain and anchor out to the location. Tom B. stenciled the bouy and cast the anchor. I loaded them into my truck and gave him a ride down to the Port Orchard launching ramp. Tom B., Bob B. and I rode the boat out and set it in the right location. The sail chairmen from the two clubs wanted to help, but something called "work" kept them away. So us three federal retirees pulled this job off.

The bouy system is pretty substantial. The bouy is a plastic barrel. The anchor is a bucket filled with about eighty pounds of concrete. And the chain is well, very heavy.


Tom B. and Bob B. attaching the chain and anchor to the new bouy.




Race Bouy #2.
And just because I am not in the photos, I did help. I helped load the gear onto the boat. I also "dropped" the anchor over the side.

1 comment:

gerrycammy said...

Sweet! You know, I noticed a new bouy out there on my way home from work today. Thanks to ya'll for the effort.