Monday, March 2, 2009

Where are we now?

I am kind of a sucker for older instruments and plotting tools. A few years ago while I was on four months of temporary duty in Japan, I started collecting slide rules. OK, so I was kind of bored and I discovered Ebay! The other engineer with me and I had a lot of fun biding on these collectables. I already had a few slide rules left over from my college days in the early 70's. Now I have about 20 of all types. Picketts, Posts, pocket size, full size, circulars. I tried to buy one of every style and brand. I was good at using them in college and my early days at Boeings. The last few years at work, it was really fun to pull one out and show the young engineers. Most of my slide rules are older than the engineers. Even though I use calculators, I keep a slide rule on board the boat as well as a time-speed-distance circular slide rule. The time-speed-distance slide rule is a usual item on most well found boats I have been on. My dad taught me to use it when I was 12. I am definatly not afraid of picking one up and using it if there is a need. I often find them quicker for some calculations than the calculator, especially if acuracy beyond three places is not required.

Along with my slide rule collection, I like to collect other drafting, plotting and navigation tools as shown below. The three arm protrator is Soviet Union navy surplus. My oldest sextant that I have had for over 40 years is not in this picture. Seems strange to think that a kid in junior high would spend hard earned money buying a sextant and learning how to use it!


Onboard the boat I keep several plotting instruments(parallel rules, paragliders, triangles, protractor, dividers) for use on paper charts or plotting boards. Always useful for plotting position when using the handbearing compass or plotting courses. These are all skills that have not gone away even with modern devices onboard. They are still taught and tested for advanced endorsements.

And yet, look were we are now. This is the nav station onboard my boat. Actually more instruments than are probably needed. My boat is not that large and does not have a fancy sit down nav station like a lot of cruising boats. Oh, the counter top is also the top of the icebox!
I do like the GPS chartplotter and the computer with navigation software. I have a complete set of electronic charts from San Diego to the Artic Ocean. When motoring, the GPS slaved to the autopilot can steer a better course than I can. The radar gives me more confidence when travelling in the fog. This is pretty much it. No fancy chart plotter in the cockpit. There is an instrument in the cockpit that displays "numbers" from the GPS(SOG, COG, CTE, BTW, DTW, etc), plus there are also the usual wind, speed and depth displays.
All these things are part of a sailors well stocked toolbox!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Agree, a well thought out navigation setup. It took me several minutes to determine where you were when you took the photo. I am unfortunately used to north always being 'up'. Crossing the Indian Ocean once the ships charts, below the equator, were printed so north was 'up. Looking at the electronic chart where it has the boats direction 'up' the fact that it is the southern entrance to Rich Passage and you are heading south was confusing at first. Old conventions are difficult to disregard with new technology.

Dan said...

Agreed, convention is with north "up". I have been experimenting with course "up". Lot of thinking out there now about using course "up". Anyway, evrything matches now: GPS, electronic chart and radar. Problem is with the electronic charts, they are scanned so the text is often upside down while the GPS always has text up no matter what orientation is used.

Who is this?

Anonymous said...

Dan, you had me going up until you said something about young Engrs. There hasn't any around these parts in years. Also, knowing you, I could see you buy this stuff in Jr. High.

Sail on......

gerrycammy said...

Dan, you definitely freaked me out when I was interning in your group. I'd never seen a slide rule, and to be honest, today it's still a mystery to me how they work.

I'd honestly never seen one before. Good for you for preserving our engineering heritage.

doug said...

Unfortunately, we neither of us got the 8 foot slide rule. I guess that is O.K. because our belts are not high enough off the ground to proudly carry it.