Saturday, June 13, 2009

And yet another nice day for a ride!

Since we are into a record setting period of days without rain, I thought this would be another good day to go for long bicycle ride. The local cycling club was leaving on a ride from Poulsbo to Port Ludlow. They were leaving at 0900, so by leaving from my home, I was giving them a big headstart. I had no idea if I would catch them.

I got underway at 0849 and rode north through Brownsville, Poulsbo, Big Valley to the Hood Canal Floating bridge. It was over cast and a little cool when I left, but I warmed up quickly. The new bridge is a lot wider than the old section and more importantly, the awkward raised metal joint from the old opening section is gone. No longer do you have to try to square up to it prior to crossing it. This will be a great advantage to the motorcyclists that ride across the bridge. I was suprised at the width of gaps in the gratings at each end of the bridge. These jolted the bicycle really hard when I rode over them. Very hard on the wheels. I tried "bunny hopping" a few of them.

I took the first right after the bridge and rode by the golf course and around the end of Port Ludlow to the marina. The sun burned off through the overcast and it became another great day. After a short stop, I started back toward the end of the bay, but instead of retracing my path, I followed the road to the intersection with the Beaver Valley road. Turned left and continued south to the intersection with Highway 104. I passed what looked like the bicycle club riders trying to cross 104 at the road to South Pt. I followed 104 across the floating bridge and then retraced my route home arriving home at about 1310.

Total Odometer:64.36 miles

Next long ride may take me all the way to Port Townsend and back.

Leaving on a road trip Monday for a few days, more later.

No comments: